PDA

View Full Version : Video clips won't play

Sensible
12th Jan 2005, 23:34
I have a problem which I have only just discovered, I have various video clips downloaded onto my hard drive and have previously watched DVD's and downloaded news video clips all entirely satisfactorily. I tried a few days ago to watch a news video and found that the sound was ok but the video was wishy washy and appeared like a colour negative. I have tried re-installing Realplayer and Windows Media Player 10 but this has changed nothing. When I try to play a DVD in Windows media player, I get an error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. Open Display in Control Panel, and then lower your screen resolution and color quality settings. To view the DVD Troubleshooter, click More Information."

I have tried every possible screen resolution and colour quality setting without the slightest improvement.

The only thing which I have done recently is to change the lcd screen from 15" to 19" but can't understand how that may have changed anything!

I am running Windows XP professional as I have always done on this machine. Any clues would be very much appreciated

stickyb
14th Jan 2005, 08:21
When you changed screens did the new one come with any drivers?

Try going into Device Manager, deleteing the screen, and reloading. Windows shouls find and reinstall.

Sensible
14th Jan 2005, 14:44
Many thanks for that, I am now able to play news video clips and downloaded video clips from my hard drive.

Edited to say now the DVD is up and running superbly as well after re-installing a program called Power DVD Thanks a bundle for the advice!

BRL
14th Jan 2005, 18:50
Hi Steve. Have a look at the January edition of PCFormat. There is a good section on these kind of faults, about 20 'fixes' for future reference.