PDA

View Full Version : Broadband 5Gb limit.

terryJones
11th Jan 2005, 18:12
BT are bringing this part of the world up to date communication wise as of 19th Jan. I am informed that I SHOULD get 1Mb here.
At the moment I am with NTL Freedom dialup, and they tell me that they will only have a service in my area of 512kb, and a download limit of 5Gb/month. They have told me that we can connect our two Pc's to it (Wife and self), but this means that in effect we will have 2.5 Gb each.
My question is this:-
As I spend almost eight hours or more a day/evening on line, ppruning, surfing in general, or downloading from Kazza, and the wife spends about 5 hours a day doing her Geneology thing or chatting to her daughter on MSN, is this 5Gb limit realistic?

P.Pilcher
11th Jan 2005, 19:15
There are plenty of ISP's who will provide a download service without restriction. I find 512k adequate and many sites tend to restrict download speeds to much below this level (or there is a restriction somewhere). Daughter has had no problems downloading films overnight. The maximum speed of your service and whether you are restricted on downloads is all a matter of price. The cheapest unlimited 512k service I have heard of is at £17.50 per month. I use, and have no complaint with this lot (http://www.plus.net) at £22.50/month and there are plenty of others.

P.P.

P.S. I should add that my 512k link regularly runs our three desktop machines, my trusty laptop AND my iPAQ simultaneously through my wireless LAN without any problems whatsoever!

terryJones
11th Jan 2005, 19:38
P.Pilcher
My problem is not with the connect speed, it's more to do with the actual amout of data we will be allowed to move. Looking at some providers with up to 30Gb/month, I was concerned that my wife and myself could use our 5Gb before the month end, given that there will be two machines connected for a large % of the time.
NTL do not offer any other service in my remote area.

maxell
11th Jan 2005, 20:19
If BT are upgrading your area to broadband you have many better options than a 5gb a month limit. I'm on a 2mb connection with 3 pc's and on a bad day top 3gb. I suggest you look around before jumping in with BT. Also if your phonline is with NTL I hear you could get AOL without a change of phone provider and they are unlimited but costly compared to some.
Also a lot of folk do not like them because of all the gear that comes with them

Max

Maxflyer
12th Jan 2005, 08:59
I've just upgraded to a 2Mb service from AOL. It is fantastic for large downloads and I am happy to pay the extra for it.

Windle Poons
12th Jan 2005, 09:56
I know many people don't like AOL, but I have never had a problem with my AOL, and am now on broadband at 2Mb download, and they don't have any restriction on downloads.

This is from memory, but AOL charge.....

£34.99 for 2Mb
£29.99 for 1Mb
£24.99 for 512k
£19.99 for 256k

Prices tend to be broadly similar, but I would suggest that if you do get it cheaper elseewhere, then there is likely to be some form of restriction. I like the fact there is no limit on AOL as I upload and download a large number of images and movies for various sites. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Take time to choose and for the next month download all your files to one folder, and then have a look at the size of the folder added to the Temporary Internet Folder. Not exact but will give you a rough guide as to whether the 5Gb limit is realistic.

WP.

BOAC
12th Jan 2005, 14:08
Don“t forget to ask about the contention ratio before you decide on a provider. I think AOL quote 40:1 and unlimited Onetel and most other unlimited “private user' services are 50:1.

5milesbaby
15th Jan 2005, 14:28
When I got my BT Yahoo broadband I didn't have much choice due to the distance to the exchange. The only other was AOL, and I don't do Connie as she does my head in. Also it took me so long to get rid of every last spec of the program, and it overwrote so much. However, I will be moving from BT very soon as there is better out there and I'm now much closer to the exchange, but the 24.99 for 5x speed, and 15 GB download is nice to have, but cannot remember the last time I got into double figures, in fact don't know if I even have!!!!

Keef
16th Jan 2005, 23:53
Generally, you get pretty much what you pay for. I chose Pipex on price and spec, and have 512k with no download etc limits. I have no idea how much I up- and download a month.

The phone line is BT.

Reliability has been excellent: it went wrong in late 2003; the line dropped briefly some time during the night in August or so 2004; apart from that it "just works".

Pipex's Customer Service, last time I tried (2003) was pretty ropey. I've not needed it since. On balance, I reckon I made the right call.

AH64 APACHE
17th Jan 2005, 17:26
seems a bit pointless to pay for broadband convenience and then have to watch that you do not break any limit on the download content.

I have 512 with Tiscali and no limit for 24.99 a month.

It has been fine for me.:ok:

MadsDad
18th Jan 2005, 10:16
I've got a 512/no limit with Demon, £24.99.

A mate of mine has a 512/no limit, £19.99 but I can't remember who with. I'll edit this later when I find out.

Pronto
20th Jan 2005, 11:08
Fairadsl for me. Unlimited 512Kbps service, under £20 a month. Can't remember what their contention is. Their helpdesk isn't brilliant but for under £20...

Echo Zulu Yankee
1st Feb 2005, 14:04
Sorry I have come into this a little late but Tiscali are offering, from the 10th of feb. A 1mb connection with no download limit for £24.99 a month, which is a cracking deal!

I've been with them on 512mb unlimited (£19.99 a month) for about 2 years now and I've never had any problems. (Although I would say spend £30 in PC world and get an Ethernet Modem rather than the USB one you are given, Just because the support for the free modems is given by a belgian company who's english isnt perfect)

Just personal preference of course.

EzY