PDA

View Full Version : CPL / IR experience in the SW England

Mosspigs
11th Jan 2005, 13:40
Sorry to post this for all of the old sweats, but the search yielded nothing of merit.

I am looking to commence the CPL and IR stage of training. Could those who have had first hand student experience offer up a little advice, particularly in the pros and cons of doing the IR at either Aeros Gloucester or Bristol.

Secondly, the same question for the two establishments but for CPL training.

Thanks in advance for any help.

darkbarly
11th Jan 2005, 16:15
Can't speak for Bristol but have just completed multi/IR at Aeros in December.

Excellent instruction, facilities and aircraft availability, not to mention 3 runways to keep us operating when bristol was outside Xwind limits, especially at this time of year.

Prices are good and all staff helpful and accomodating, especially where any weak areas are identified and need addressing prior to the test.

Best of luck.:ok: :ok:

ABO944
11th Jan 2005, 20:48
Hi there!

Bristol are great!

Did my CPL with them!

Very professional and friendly staff!

Have a goose ......... www.bfctraining.co.uk

All the best .....

Hufty
12th Jan 2005, 12:53
I did my IR and multi in 2003 at Bristol. They were very good. My instructor, Nasib, was superb.

There were a few issues with getting as many sim slots as I wanted, but that may have changed now. All in all I would recommend them.

mjc9967
14th Jan 2005, 00:08
Easy peezy - Bristol is the one!!!

Call 01275 474601, ask for Joe McGrath. Go in and see them (on the south side of the airport, just by the entrance to Silver Zone parking), and make sure you meet Rowan Irvin and Nasib Otaqi.

I did my IR there starting mid July04 completed end Sept04, bit longer than it could have been due to some weather and my having a little break in the middle. Compared to some, 10weeks isnt too bad even without breaks!

Their normal way there is to do IR first then CPL. I think they find this most beneficial. Having said that I had my CPL from Stapleford first.

They have 2 FNPTII's and 6 Senecas there. Never any problem getting a plane, and since Rowan took over as Head of Training a few months ago the number of sessions per day per sim rose from 4 to 8! So with a total of 16 possible sim sessions a day not a problem anymore.

Joe is fairly strict at managing numbers so the place shouldnt get too crowded. He'll make you wait 4-6wks if need be, but its worth it when you get there.

Rowan and Nasib are the absolute dogs nuts with the instruction. There aint nothing they havent seen before or cant spot with whats going on your head when youre trying to do something.

At the time I was there, Rowan had instituted a system of having your aircraft instructor-to-be for the last 10 sim hours, giving a nice transition into working with the guy in the plane. I found that worked really well.

Leading up to 170A/test, Rowan is all over you like a rash! I saw people doing sims up to 2am if needed before test, and early morning practice flights on the day, if deemed to be beneficial.

I had a pm test and he took me up in the am to polish OEI NDB approaches which I felt shaky on, and we got it nailed.

Another point to note, the area CAA office that houses the CAA examiner who you need to take your initial test with is IN the Bristol Flying Centre building. The resident examiner, Graham Clifford, is there pretty much full time and is on hand for the odd question and just to get to know him throughout your training, so a lot of test day nerves can be removed.

Its not the cheapest shop for the IR, but not much over the cheapest. Definately best value for money. Extra grand or so over the cheapest you might see highly increases first time pass chances (in my view).

If you do IR first, then you may get better Spring VMC weather for CPL afterwards, and save 10hrs CPL instruction into the bargain.

By the way, make damn sure you do the 5hr Night Qual requirement before starting IR or CPL - I nearly came a cropper when it came to License issue because of that (not Bristol's fault, by the way!)

Good Luck, and hope you make the right choice!!

EGAC_Ramper
14th Jan 2005, 13:28
Starting Oxford groundschool 28th Feb and once that is complete I'm looking at Aero's or Bristol to do my flight training.So all comments are welcome on these flightschools.Though have looked up Bristol,they seem to do more in the sim than actual flying specially for the IR.

Regards

mjc9967
14th Jan 2005, 13:56
Egac,

You can do as much aircraft instead of sim as you like if you want to pay for it!!!

The starting point at Bristol is MINIMUM hours / cost which is 35sim + 15a/c (if you already have CPL) or 40sim + 15a/c if you dont. This structure allows for maximum sim time credit allowed by CAA, keeps cost down and is beneficial for getting your head around procedural aspects without worrying about the actual aircraft or getting real world complications (eg ATC) before you are ready to handle them.

Remember, in addition to this you must have your 6hrs in the aircraft for MEP rating training before commencing Multi IR skills course. (Although the MEP check ride is often in practise done after the IRT).

Bearing this is mind, what you actually do is 35sim + 22a/c for an overall Multi IR course (assuming again you did CPL first).

If you want to pay to switch sim hours for aircraft (£135 vs £368 per hour) then you can!

jamestkirk
14th Jan 2005, 13:59
Totally agree with the 'long thread' about Bristol.
Very good all round.

Joe McGrath (Manager) is a really helpful, professional individual, who geniuniely cares about your flying.

Nasib Otaqui is quite simply a legend and a must to fly with.

Rowan Irving is also excellent to fly .

The operations staff are probably the most helpful i have ever comes across.

The sim instructors are professional and spend the required amount of time to de-brief you in a very comprehensive and positive way.

They also have a number of part time instructors to fly with if you want. I recommend flying with Stuart McManus.

And, if your lucky, you might get the chance to right hand seat the King Air for a trip or two.

On my first visit to see them about the CPL/IR course, I was impressed that the flight test pass rates were on full view for you to see.

They were not interested in you putting money up front either.

Go and see them and get your own opinion.

I would thoroughly recommend them.

JTK

EGAC_Ramper
14th Jan 2005, 16:18
Cheers for the replies,anywho have give them a ring and will be arranging a visit when I fly to Bristol to go to Oxford for my groundschool.
Friendly over the phone and was told they would try and organise a sim session for me and possibly a backseat ride.:ok: Big thing for me is to check if I can crash at my bro's for the 5months or so during hour buidling and training lol!!;)

Regards