PDA

View Full Version : 'Our Brave Boys' (BBCR4)

delta96
10th Jan 2005, 18:28
Having listened to this radio comedy I came to the conclusion that the scriptwriter(s) follows this forum closely. Some of the lines could have been taken from posts here. Last week refered to the Typhoon's concrete nose gun. This week pondering the future of The Red Arrows, females in FJ seats, Wrens in ships.
One quote from senior civil servant:
"Red 'planes with funny smoke doing cartwheels over Eastbourne are out, got it?"
A few years ago the show was more akin to 'The Navy Lark'. Much as I used to enjoy Sub Lt. Phillips et al with my sunday dinner, I prefer this.

Vortex what...ouch!
10th Jan 2005, 21:53
I agree. Just listened to it yesterday and found it very acurate and funny.

Gainesy
11th Jan 2005, 07:20
Concur. The episode about the Typhoon gun debacle was hilarious. And sadly accurate. Shades of Yes Minister about it too.

breakscrew
11th Jan 2005, 10:20
You mean it is a comedy show - I thought it was a documentary....;)

Pureteenlard
11th Jan 2005, 17:41
For those unfortunate souls who don't listen to Radio 4 . . .
Download Realplayer and then Listen again at the BBC website;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/ourbraveboys.shtml

I'm so glad it isn't just me that listens to this! When I posted about it on the "Defence cuts" thread nobody responded and I felt soooo alone . . . :-)

Guern
11th Jan 2005, 18:13
Anyway to download this so I can listen on an mp3 player on the bus to work? Or do i have to listen online?

Pureteenlard
11th Jan 2005, 20:57
Unfortunately you can only listen to it online. And you need RealPlayer.
Earlier series may be available on tape or cd.

Thud_and_Blunder
12th Jan 2005, 12:16
Guern and Pureteenlard,

Living where I do but still needing my BBC Radio fix, I've researched the business of recording streaming audio. There ARE solutions - a Google search will bring you plenty - but they all revolve around an audio card capable of duplex operations. My sad little integral-audio chip isn't up to the task, but a decent PC should be capable of being configured.

Oh, and I quite agree - OBB is one of the best audio gems around!

JagMate
12th Jan 2005, 17:50
I agree totally - an excellent comedy.

But I have to cringe at Wg Cdr Brian. I admit that we crabs are (perhaps) overly concerned with how to screw the system for the best allowances possible (when compared with our counterparts in the RN and Army who quite frequently rely on private sources of income). However, the script's portrayal of a blanket-stacking blunty with little to no knowledge of anything operational is, unfortunately, a perfect description of large proportion of our service.

If you want to record the series on your computer - try downloading 'Total Recorder'. Save the file and then transfer to your mp3 player. Easy for anyone who can tell their arse from their elbow (thus, ruling out navigators - JOKE).

(Do I get a prize for alienating everyone in light blue except single-seat pilots?).

BikerMark
13th Jan 2005, 12:56
If you have a Freeview box, you should be able to hook it up to a VCR to "video" & timeshift the radio programme, as the BBC broadcast all their mainstream radio channels on Freeview.

Alternatively, there are now some DAB radios on the market which record to an SD memory card in MP2 format which is easy to convert to MP3 see:
http://www.cspry.co.uk/links/dab_radio_to_CD.html

Mark.

Thud_and_Blunder
22nd Jan 2005, 05:58
Jagmate,

I owe you a big vote of thanks - you've improved the quality of life in Q8 no end. That Total Recorder programme is brilliant - does everything it says on the box. My tired old brain struggles with the scheduler, but that aside the recordings are superb. The programme has also given me the best means yet encountered for sorting-out my myriad audio files - great discovery, thanks.

DK338
22nd Jan 2005, 08:25
JagMate,

Nah, you're spot on. From my experiences the overwhelming majority of RAF peeps are indeed non operational admin blunty, keep your head down, whinge about being in a military force, box ticking career monster sycophants with little or no comprehension of air power. Hurrrumph and Baaaaaaaaaaaaah!:E