PDA

View Full Version : rotary instructors pay

callie dog
10th Jan 2005, 09:47
Interested to see a number of threads on fixed wing instructors rate of pay, I would be interested in understanding what our rotary instructing range is

Whirlybird
10th Jan 2005, 15:55
You'd probably get more replies to this if you posted it on the Rotorheads forum.

Whirlybird
13th Jan 2005, 17:46
Well, at the moment I spend about as much on travel to the airfield as I get paid. :{ Still, it's better than having to pay to fly, innit?:)

kissmysquirrel
18th Jan 2005, 07:39
FI(R) = £25-35/hr R22 average £30
FI = £35-45/hr R22 average £40
FI = £45-50/hr R44
FI =£50/hrB206
FI = £60+/hr twin
All figures approx.

Oh, and if the wx is s**t then you get nothing. You do need to be aware of that one small point, especially in the UK!!:ok:

Whirlybird
18th Jan 2005, 08:25
And, of course, you get nothing for briefings etc, as with all instructors. But although the pay per hour is better than for f/w, there's at least one big difference (apart from the fact that I suspect students can kill us more quickly :( ). As a newish, part time, weekend FI(R), I do mainly trial lessons. And these are often 20, 30, or 40 minutes. One day I did about six of these, but logged less than three hours, didn't get a break all day, and felt as tired as if they'd all been full hours. In fact, it's harder, especially getting the timing right on a 20 minute TL, and still leaving the person feeling they've learned something and enjoyed it. And for £30 per flying hour...doesn't look so great now, does it? :( Not that I'm complaining; I love it...well, the schools are lucky all of us do, or no-one would do it.

Cynicstick
11th Feb 2005, 20:55
Kissmysquirrel you were lucky.

When I first started down at t' airfield, I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed. I had to lick aircraft clean wit' tongue and work fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out for sixpence a week, pay the helicopter owner for permission to fly and after completing 50 trial lessons the CFI would thrash us wi' his belt .

Try and tell young instructors of today that... they won't believe you!

chopperpilot47
14th Feb 2005, 08:39
Luxury!

When I started we had to get up the day before, wash int stream, eat gravel, make our own avgas from potato peelins, fly all day wi lunatics, go to bed in a hole int ground the day after tomorrow, get paid threepence a month and be right grateful or they set the dogs ont us. If we were lucky!

Apologies to Monty Python.

Chopperpilot47

loan ranger
15th Feb 2005, 04:02
Eeee ,, lads,
That were nuthin. Mr Brist** 'ad us flyin' while we were asleep, 24 hours a day wi no pay, o'er nort' sea. We had to do us business threw ole in 't fuselage and all 't paper wer wore owt. Appen we had ta turn rotors by 'and an all !

Bravo73
15th Feb 2005, 11:57
loan ranger,

One of the funniest posts that I've read on PPRuNe for some time. Thanks.

:D

B73

Heli-Ice
15th Feb 2005, 23:48
loan ranger

Funny post......

but it must have been ok since you were asleep 24hrs a day??? :}