PDA

View Full Version : Vote Here For An Ag Pilot Forum

AT502
10th Jan 2005, 08:07
G'day all,

I am trying to con the powers that be in Pprune to let us wonderful charming lot have our own forum. If you think this is a brilliant idea like I do, please submit a reply stating your support!

There is currently a thread running called Att: Ag Pilots which was trying to achieve the same purpose, however it has now turned into it's own little forum covering many topics.

Cheerio & thanks for your support:ok:

Super Trouper:cool:

Enjoy your lunch? Thank an Ag Pilot!

185skywagon
10th Jan 2005, 11:04
two. i am in. as i have to write 15 characters to get this post on, that will do.

7gcbc
10th Jan 2005, 11:15
me vote aye aye aye also

good idea.

Howard Hughes
10th Jan 2005, 11:30
Perhaps you need to make this a poll!!

But I'll give you a yes, just so I can pop in from time to time and get the goss from you guys!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

TomOz
10th Jan 2005, 12:13
I would love to see an Ag forum. I know there are quite a few aggies hiding in Rotorheads who would contribute.

bzhpilot
10th Jan 2005, 14:44
I'd like to see that too...count me in

maxspeed
10th Jan 2005, 20:09
Tomoz is right about rotorheads, Troup you may want to put out one of your 'fishing lines' in the rotorheads.
Also the idea of an AG Forum sounds numbawan!

tinpis
10th Jan 2005, 22:02
Smells like a load of guano to me.
All the best in your efforts

simbumeri
10th Jan 2005, 22:43
A very very good idea once an Ag pilot always an Ag pilot from one who hides in Rotor Heads.....heres to making it happen.

:D :ok:

solowflyer
11th Jan 2005, 06:09
You have my vote.

Have found pprune a fantastic resource that has led me to two jobs in ag aviation and a seat in a fletcher. Resorces for ag aviation is very thin on the ground and we all need this. As they say build it and they will come.:ok:

Super Cecil
11th Jan 2005, 06:44
Give it a go......................................................

Paint The Sky Pink!
11th Jan 2005, 07:00
YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

PTS PINK

currawong
11th Jan 2005, 07:40
Count me in.

I'll sign anything.....

:E

AT502
11th Jan 2005, 09:08
The main reason for wanting a forum of our own is becuase our industry (the aerial ag industry) has so many issues which don't really fit into other areas, ie. firebombing, baiting, locust, spraying, application issues, aircraft types, hours, seasons, the list goes on. One of the hot topics in our industry at the moment is powerline strikes as we had a record number in 2004. This area needs plenty of discussion so we can all help each other to maybe save someones life.

Our aerial ag industry does not have an anonymous forum to use like Pprune so therefore feedback and exchange of information that other aviation sectors are given on pprune are not available to us. I believe this could be a valuable tool to newcomers also seeking information on entering our industry. I have found pprune to be very accomodating to all other areas of aviation, but just becuase our industry is small we are still a very important part of aviation, the broad community and agriculture.

masteroff
11th Jan 2005, 09:25
Good luck to you all.
Super Trouper, maybe you can help me. I have made numerous phone calls to various training institutions regarding obtaining an ag rating. Never got one phone call returned. (obviously they are making too much money to be bothered!)

I just want to know what the industry is like for a 500 hr pilot. I know the work is seasonal but I am wondering, is it over-crowded like the charter industry or are there places to start? Any help (from anyone) greatly appreciated.:confused:

Super Cecil
11th Jan 2005, 09:39
Masteroff,
have you tried Superspread at Deni? they do rating's and GPS training.
There are blokes who will employ 500 hour pilots. Have you done any loading? If you do a season or two loading then people will be more inclined to give you a go. There is a bit of money to be made if your loading a couple of aircraft and you can see if the job is really for you.
At the moment insurance seems to be the big problem, if you get in with a good operator and do a season or 2 loading then you might get a start. Broadacre seems to have the least obstacles for starting, if you could get a seat before the winter stuff (weather permitting).
Super used to be the way to start but these days there's not much doing in that area.
Don't expect that AG hours are going to be usefull as building hours toward an Airline career, they don't seem to like them even though it's skilled and disciplined work. Would an approach to minimums in crappy weather in an Airliner be an harder work (just the flying) than working on a dark night with just a turn and bank and a GPS?
If your keen then you will get there, it's a matter of keep on trying.

AT502
11th Jan 2005, 09:58
Hello masteroff,

I am trying to avoid topics other than polling for a forum on this thread. There is another thread running in D & G called Att. Ag Pilots.

I agree with everything Super Cecil says. You really need to start at the bottom. Start ringing around to see if anyone wants a mixer/loader and your training will begin from there. Also get in your car and door knock............. you will need to be prepared to start at the bottom, very important.

I do not recommend you pay $14000+ for an ag rating until you have done a couple of seasons on the ground.

Good luck,

Troup:ok:

crop duster
11th Jan 2005, 12:00
Count me in.
Masteroff, ag flying is a difficult business to break into. The flying is unlike most other segment of aviation and it is not for everyone. Take the advice of others. Get a job working on the ground. Work in the high heat, dusty, and other wise undesirable conditions that go with crop dusting. This is not a luke warm type of job. It has to get in your blood, or you just won't stay with it. The money is great if you're in the right spot, but if you don't love it, it'll show and you won't last. So, save your money until you know what you want to do. This is not the kind of job to build hours and then go do something else. The jobs are getting fewer and the a/c are getting bigger, but alot of us are over our peak and eventually we'll have to quit. If you're still serious get a subscription to Ag Air Update and imerse yourself in the business.
www.agairupdate.com
Good luck,
barryb

the wizard of auz
11th Jan 2005, 12:44
Count me in too. :ok:

SandBlaster-214
11th Jan 2005, 18:47
Awwwwwww, what could it hurt. Sure be good to hang out with others whose hairs are all fallin' out and havin' weird appendeges growin' out of their backs and necks :} .

Oh, and TomOz, we don't have to be called Aggies do we? Over here in Texas that term takes on a WHOLE 'nother meaning. :8

TomOz
11th Jan 2005, 20:07
Sorry Sandblaster, I wasn't aware of the double meaning. :ooh:

SandBlaster-214
11th Jan 2005, 22:21
Awww, no problem - it's kinduva "regional" deal, ya know? We tell Aggie jokes like some folks tell blond jokes.

(Besides, a Red Raider would just as soon pull out his own toenails as be called an Aggie). ;)

Dixons Cider
14th Jan 2005, 15:00
Yep, I think you guys should have your own forum if thats what you desire, I'd enjoy it.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but have any of you ever heard of an airline pilot wanting a change and succeeding in making a late start into Ag?
I well understand I would have to follow the time proven route of doing some loading/mixing before even stepping into a machine, and that my recent hours are not relevant, but the real question is in my mid to late 30's, would it generally be considered a bit late?

As an aside, I'm originally from a farming background, and before being swallowed up into the airline game, did the hard yards in GA, and a stint in tail draggers.

Whaddya reckon??

Super Cecil
14th Jan 2005, 17:53
If your keen Mr Cider you will make a change. There will be blokes that would put an ex airline fellow on, or you could buy your own set up with your super? a rich airline pilot should come out with a couple of million, I'm sure you'd get somebody to sell a show for that.
On a series note think long and hard and target the flying you want.

currawong
15th Jan 2005, 03:32
Course you can make the change Dixons.

Some people get a start without going the loader/mixer route.

SOME operators, when recruiting a pilot, are looking for a pilot, not a loader/mixer.

For my money I reckon do both, because at some point you will load yourself/ others.

Lowlevldevl
15th Jan 2005, 06:25
It would be great to see a non-affiliated ag -pilots forum. There used to be a beauty at the Air ag update site but some of the threads got a little personal and some of the participants threw a fair bit of mud at Air Tractor (Air Ag Updates major advertising client) so it all got stopped.
Besides, we all know that Pprune is the home of all serious aviation forums and it would sure be nice to be serious for a change.:)

Hey Dixon,
Cute name by the way.......:hmm:
Got a young family? Wife and kids?
Think about the hole you could leave in their lives if you make a smoking one in the ground.
Have lost a couple of mates this last year or so that fit your age/ experience profile. Promised myself the other day that I\'d shout a bottle of Bundy and earnestly try to discourage the next married with kids 30 plus wannabee I met. No dependants?....... Come on down.

Dixons Cider
15th Jan 2005, 16:48
Cheers guys, appreciated.

Super Cec - blardy hell, dunno what I've done wrong, but but a fat super isn't coming my way. If only...

Currawong - Agreed. Mixing/loading would be most benficial but the other side of the coin is that the grey hairs are rapidly overtaking the other ones!!

Lowleveldude - Very valid point, and one I'd considered as I wondered about the level of of my selfishness by throwing away my cushy number just for my own reward, whilst upping the risk factor at the same time. One very wonderful wife and no kids. Hmmm. Many a better man than me has paid the price, but then again...

CoodaShooda
16th Jan 2005, 02:11
If lurkers are allowed to vote, you have mine. :D

snowshoe
16th Jan 2005, 04:25
Hi Trouper , the Ag forum page is the best idea I've heard this week. Go for it, you have my vote.

cpt
16th Jan 2005, 18:56
Yes, go ahead with this forum.....!!!!

asw28-866
17th Jan 2005, 05:05
Gets my vote, seems a much underrated branch of commercial aviation. Now, who'll vote for a professional Tiger Moth Pilot's Forum?

ASW28

Lowlevldevl
18th Jan 2005, 22:09
Apparently no lesser an aviation deity than Neil Armstrong, after having addressed a gathering of reporters years ago was asked which branch of aviation he felt had made the greatest contribution to the good of mankind. He thought for a while and replied that he believed that would have to be Agricultural Aviation.
If Neil believes that it shouldn't be so hard for the powers that be at Pprune to let us have our own forum now should it?

AT502
20th Jan 2005, 04:19
I'm back! Been very busy over the last 5 days with work and other stuff.

Keep the support coming!

Cheers,

Troup:ok: :ok:

AT502
24th Jan 2005, 08:17
Still seeking support. Spread the news around to your co-workers.

Cheers,

Troup:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

burnercan
25th Jan 2005, 10:21
count me in toooooooooooooooo :ok: :}

Paint The Sky Pink!
25th Jan 2005, 22:11
You must be pleased with the amount of support you are receiving ST?

However I would like to make you all aware that of all the pilots that work in my family business only two knew anything about Pprune. And once they found out it was anonymous that really sparked their interest as the AAAA's & Field Air ones aren't. Maybe Pprune needs to get the word out to the ag pilots of their existence!?!?!?!!?

Happy Australia Day!:)

Paint The Sky Pink! ;)

currawong
31st Jan 2005, 20:03
It seems the "Attention Ag Pilots" thread has been locked.

Probably due to Prune policy that any thread with 100 replies gets locked.

Terrible shame - The thread was getting some great contributions, including photos.

This thread still has some life left in it.

I propose we carry on here. And when this one runs out of room, we start another one. And another.

Soloflyer,

Take the time if you can get it. You will get more from each lesson if you are not worried about how the blazes you are going to get back on the ground.

You will be landing hot and out of wind most of the time, perhaps on hillsides if your instructor includes that. You will be doing 200 ft circuits.

You will be loaded, not to Normal category max all up weight like every other pilot, but to Ag category max all up weight, which is different again.

Good luck.

tinpis
3rd Feb 2005, 02:39
:p

You will be loaded, not to Normal category max all up weight like every other pilot, but to Ag category max all up weight, which is different again.

Try dangerously overloaded , unless things have changed in the last 35 years.
Throw in a plane that has a volume control instead of a throttle , ailerons cos they looked nice on the wings , some damn power lines , rising ground complete with wind always up yer coit , wet super and youre on your way.

maxspeed
3rd Feb 2005, 22:57
Another aircraft purchased by the insurance company, a shaggin' wagon gone in just out of Ingam north qld. josh is fine a broken nose only I believe, but the machine is in some timber and may not evan be recovered , due to the terrain, but good to know the boys OK:ok:

currawong
9th Feb 2005, 00:49
Crikey.

Good thing he wasn't in a chopper...

Might have got a tree up his :mad:

Dixons Cider
10th Feb 2005, 10:39
Started a thread to challenge some of you blokes to post a few photos of Aggy's at work, go on....have a look here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162774)

Might help with the push for your own forum...

AT502
16th Feb 2005, 02:09
I am interested in the quote by Neil Armstrong, if you know more, please pass it on. Would like to use it!

Cheers,

Troup:ok:

Super Cecil
16th Feb 2005, 07:35
Maybe a Bush Pilot forum would be more acceptable to the powers that be? That would cover most AG stuff.

multime
19th Feb 2005, 05:54
VOTE 1!!!!:ok: ag forum1:ok: top idea:ok: count me in!!:ok:
slippery side up,greasy side down.:ok:

GurlPilot
19th Feb 2005, 08:15
you can count me in

airag3
20th Feb 2005, 07:54
Good idea Super, the industry needs a discussion forum and unfortunately Field Airs has always been quiet for some reason.

Besides I may be making a return and need to speak to someone about a job!!!

multime
20th Feb 2005, 08:12
Agair3 yep the fieldair forums are quiet.thats because its not anonymous i can only speculate?.But a site on pprune would be a huge bonus.!!!.no-ones prepared to back up what they say for fear of repocussions.wish they would though!.:ok:

Paint The Sky Pink!
15th Mar 2005, 05:18
have look at

www.iflyag.com

PTSP!

Sir HC
22nd Mar 2005, 12:54
Dear All, Constantly monitoring this thread for movement, I have finally bitten the bullet and am going to speak my mind. I agree entirely that a Bush Pilots forum would be a wonderful addition to PPrune however we are failing to stay on the first page of D&G Questions, this would be doing little to convince those with authority to give us a forum of our own.

What they would notice however is 'Vote Here for and Ag Pilots forum' constantly at the top of Page 1. We do this by posting regularly. What I would like to see is everyone contributing to the thread each time they check it.

Whether you have a little rant about where the industry is heading, memories from a cotton season ten years ago, reliving the humour of flying furniture at a recent convention or just want to debate that the Thrush was Leylands best design, we must do it regularly to warrant a forum of our own.

Once the powers that be see the thread constantly at the top and some good old fashioned discussion taking place, I am sure they will work it out for themselves.

I hope this will inspire a few of you to come out of the woodwork and contribute to the thread and I also hope that commonsense will prevail at all levels. Kind Regards

By the way, is there any truth to the rumour that Leyland is bringing out a 1000 gallon machine powered by a PW100??

AT502
30th Mar 2005, 01:25
Hi all,

I am back on line, have been busy concentrating on other stuff, i.e. work!

The cotton season here in NW NSW is drawing to a close. We had a huge Dec / Jan and have had a dissapointing Feb/Mar. Anyway defoliation is in full swing and cotton pickers are everywhere.

Have not heard about the 1000 gallon machine!?!?!!? I think Mr Snow needs to sort out his wing problems before releasing another machine!

Cheers,

Troup

currawong
30th Mar 2005, 10:11
But then have you heard of anyone buying anything new lately?

Lots of recycled airframes around.

Hope all is well in your camp.

AT502
30th Mar 2005, 10:17
I have not heard of one NEW purchase from the factory for some time. Plenty of second hand ones coming in from the states.

Who said we weren't environmently friendly..........????? At least we recycle!

Still more accidents happening, one in Finley not long ago, some photos were floating around via e-mail. Have to get organised and start posting some photos on here.

Cheerio!:ok:

Troup

Ultralights
30th Mar 2005, 10:48
you ag guys still looking for an AG forum??

the moderator at this site is willing to help out! aussie based..

Sorry old chap, but if they want to advetise here they are most welcome.

Besides it is such a lame attempt.:E :uhoh: :zzz: :\

Glenn I
2nd Apr 2005, 06:15
I'm the owner of the site you edited out. Bit hard to advertise it if you are going to delete the URL :)

Lowlevldevl
4th Apr 2005, 11:13
It's DEFINITELY time we had our own forum.
If ever there was a group of pilots that needed a venue to discuss issues that concern us ie; the spate of expensive and lethal accidents we've been having this season......Its us. Ag pilots. PPrune was conceived originally for airline types to discuss pay issues and company BS because they almost never all got together at one place to do it in person.
And How its grown. There are forums for ALL branches of aviation. Even non-pilot on-lookers for gawds sake. Yet we, who spend our entire working lives helping to feed and clothe all those other forum lurkers. And do it in single seat machinery isolated as hell a lot of the time, with few other fellow ag-pilots to talk to except maybe the opposition guys (and who's going to believe anything THEY tell you) have to be content with a sub-gthread in D&G questions. This is an absolute travesty.
What's going on? Is PPrune controlled by Chemical-phobic environmentalist city dwellers in denial about the true source of just about every damn thing they eat, drink and wear.
Shut down the airlines fo a month and people save money on travel. Shut down ag-aviation for a month and watch food and fibre prices sky-rocket.
Get with the program Pprune gods. I know you're UK based. The reason there are no more ag aviators in the UK is because your farms are so small and your fighter pilots kept running into them. That doesn't mean the rest of us are irrelevant.
Give us a crack at this will you? If it isn't being used in 12 months, close it down again.

Glenn I
6th Apr 2005, 13:14
Well if pprune won't give you a forum of your own come to one that does.