PDA

View Full Version : Cathay 828

FMS Guide
9th Jan 2005, 23:44
Hi Gang,

Does CX 828 to YYZ always stop in Anchorage?

If so, does the same crew out of Hong Kong continue to Toronto or is there a crew swap in Anchorage?

Thanks in advance...

404 Titan
10th Jan 2005, 01:38
Crew swap. It is only a tech stop.

push&stop
11th Jan 2005, 17:30
wat do you mean by a tech stop?

spannersatcx
11th Jan 2005, 19:54
Primarily to take on fuel as due to winds etc you can't make it in one leap.

Strive
15th Jan 2005, 08:55
I have a question,
why does the flight stop at anchorage sometimes and sometimes at Vancouver? is there a specific reason?
also, why can't CX get a better flying route like AC where it's a direct flight with less flying time?!
I've been really curious as I live in Toronto and always wondered why this happens.

404 Titan
15th Jan 2005, 14:00
Strive

Up until the beginning of December the flight routed via Vancouver because the Americans were making it too hard to route through Anchorage. They were insisting all pax, baggage and cargo be offloaded, pax to have visas and recheck in, and cargo checked. Obviously this was unacceptable to CX, as the process would take about three hours. Anchorage was loosing big time and after a large amount of pressure was place on Washington and the Department of Homeland Security by the Alaskan Government, sanity finally prevailed.

As to the reason why we don’t do Toronto non-stop like Air Canada? They are using the A340-500, which has a greater range. The A340-300 can do it but there is a substantial payload penalty. Where we may miss out on a few pax because of the longer flight time we more than make up for in the additional freight we can carry compared to Air Canada. There is a lot more money to be made in freight and the bean counters at CX know it.

Strive
15th Jan 2005, 20:51
Thanks for your reply 404 Titan. Now I understand more about it. But hmm.... i just want to re-ensure, so AC costs more to operate its flight to HK while CX knows that it may loose pax from a longer flight but can compensate from less cost?!

Thanks again!

DDDOF
15th Jan 2005, 21:15
Couple of quick questions.
Is there much time saving going through ANC rather than YVR?
Or is it a fuel cost saving or something else?
If the flight either direction, has a light load (I imagine that's rare)and the winds help, do they skip the stop and go direct, changing day to day??
Thanks

404 Titan
16th Jan 2005, 01:45
DDDOF

When a tech stop is required, ANC is preferred over YVR. Generally it saves time and allows more payload to be carried over a tech stop in YVR. On eastbound flights during the winter the tracking may keep the aircraft further south to take advantage of the strong jetstreams that are present this time of year over the North Pacific. It is also worth noting that the flight is usually direct to YYZ from HKG because of this, this time of year. A tech stop is only required on the return to HKG in ANC. Once the summer schedule starts a tech stop is required in both directions.