PDA

View Full Version : Distance Learning Organisations - Image

Whipping Boy's SATCO
9th Jan 2005, 14:27
I recently contacted a number of organisations who advertise ATPL/CPL distance learning. Most have already responded and I am quite taken back by the varying quality of response. On the face of things, all that I have contacted have a reasonable name but it really does make a difference when you find yourself comparing a rather snazzy CD against a few photocopied sheets of paper.

Should I go with the high tech, or could this be a case of a wolf in sheep's clothing?

no sponsor
9th Jan 2005, 15:11
I wouldn't worry too much about the content of their response, although it might be a useful filter to get rid of those less responsive.

I would attempt to narrow down a few based on some criteria, such as:

- pass rates
- facilities
- location - sounds odd for distance learning, but you will still have to spend a month full-time.
Of those that make it though I would try and,

- see a sample of their notes
- understand their progress test marking facility
- size of classes
- speak to their CGI, or owner, and get a feel for their strong points/weak points etc.

I actually drove over 200 miles to have a chat with the DL school owner, who took me through notes, course, etc. A day well spent, in my opinion.

For me, having now finished I found that:

- progress test marking needs to be top notch. My school had a CD rom in which I got instant feedback, and all my tests were automatically sent via the internet. The notes should read well, and complex diagrams need to be clear, and in colour.

- availability of your brush-up courses needs to be OK. You should be able to book up courses at about 8 weeks notice. Make sure that they have very regular courses you can get on.

- feedback and Q&A facility - DL is a lonely business, and you need to have a way of getting problem areas ironed out quickly - either by telephone, or email etc.

- instructors - they are key to getting you through the exams. Make sure the ones at the school have been there and done it. Besides, listening to their stories is always a good waste of a 10 minutes when things are dull in the classroom.

- feedback is essential. Make sure your school has lots of recent material.

PM me if you wish for further details.

Good luck.

Frank Furillo
9th Jan 2005, 15:17
I can echo No sponsors, remarks there, seems like we both went to the same G/S.
Please feel free to PM me, for info etc.
FF

WX Man
9th Jan 2005, 18:29
In order to choose the best option for you, I reckon people should pick a topic that they reckon they'll find challenging. Like gyros, for instance (my bugbear!!!).

Take your shortlist of schools (based on price, reputation or whatever) and ask them all to send copies of their notes on that particular subject. Go with the one whose notes you find clearest.

IMHO feedback is much of a muchness: all schools seem to have pretty decent feedback, and doubtless you will encounter someone from another school somewhere along the way who will lend you their feedback.