PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Removal

Tosh McCaber
9th Jan 2005, 11:35
Having just got my new, clean(?) computer back, having been rebuilt after a major hang-up, I ran AVG 6 for the first time, to find a Trojan Horse called Back-Door Optix- sitting on a file, (and its back-up file on a different separate drive,) that has been on the computer since 2003! After scanning, it appeared that AVG did not/ could not remove it unusually, nor stick it in the virus vault.

On investigating the Trojan on the web, there was a suggestion that I download a trial version of an anti trojan utility- Trojan Remover. I did this, ran it, and it did not find anything! (Perhaps AVG did its stuff, but there are no records of it in the test results.)

Anyway, I removed both files, which were non-essential. On consuting a Symantic web-based document relating to the trojan, it recommends unistalling a file called Winstart.bat. There isn't such a file on my C Drive, but there is one on my back-up drive, (which used to be my C Drive, before my recent repairs.)

Is it safe to remove a .bat filesuch as this? I'm always leery about touching system files! However, if Symantic say to do it, well.....?

Look forward to receiving any advice.

Toxteth O'Grady
9th Jan 2005, 11:48
Unlikely but rather than deleting it rename it as Winstart.old.

If that then causes you problems later on just rename it back to Winstart.bat.

ZH875
9th Jan 2005, 12:02
If its not on your C: Drive, then it is unlikely that windows needs it, Not all .bat files are system files. Locate the file and open (Edit) it with a text editor (notepad or similar) and have a look at its contents. As it is a .bat file, it will be in plain english, you can see what files it would run if it were run.

You should then be able to make a decision to delete it or not.