PDA

View Full Version : Oxford v PGT Kemble

royalaviator
8th Jan 2005, 23:35
Hello All...

Just Heard from students that Oxford are slashing Prices for Modular ground studies to keep in competion with PGT in Kemble.
Allthough i also heard that mojority of the students last year whent to PGT coz the training was alot better there,Whats going on???....Is this true.

What Next?..They pull out of Arizona coz of the Director got beat up in a gay bar, now in competion with PGT, what Next...Im totally confused.Where shall i go..!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

EGAC_Ramper
9th Jan 2005, 11:59
Would also be interested to hear of other person feelings on this,looking at Oxford to start in 28th Feb tho ain't paid anything as yet.:ok:

PGT
9th Jan 2005, 17:42
Royal Aviator and all

As much as I'd like your statement to be true about 'last year' we only received our approval from the CAA on 23rd November so we were unable to start courses until after that time.

It is true that Oxford have temporarily reduced their modular course price for Ground School, that's their business and one can only speculate as to why a succesful school would do that.

I personally still have good friends working and teaching at Oxford so if I ever say anything here it will be to reply to queries or to state a fact and nothing more.

When we, the 'famous five' set up at Kemble it really was to fill a hole in the market caused by ATA's sad demise and because we did not wish to work under the terms of a new contract.

To all wannabes looking to start an aviation career I would simply say this, use PPrune as a tool to gather facts and maybe shortlist your schools, visit the schools you shortlist, listen to advice from the schools and from students who have attended/are attending and then make your own decision.

Happy New Year and regards to all.

Pete Begley

Teroc
10th Jan 2005, 13:45
Hey Pete,
You still doing that fire alarm noise ? Brilliant.

Good luck to you all in your new venture.

G-SP0T
10th Jan 2005, 15:54
Im in the same situation. oxford have a good rep. but it would seem all their instructors are moving to kemble - decision's decision's

jamestkirk
10th Jan 2005, 17:20
I did the ground school at Oxford and it was very good.

Although, I was trained by some of the guys who are now at Kemble and would say that, in my opinion, they would be an excellent choice to do your ground school.

Especially Steve Francis and Steve Tindle. Both are extremely good and the latter being highly entertaining as well . (Apart from the tight t-shirts he wears out in town - very 80's- no offence).

Good luck with it at Kemble Steve, Steve etc.

JTK

pda1
10th Jan 2005, 17:34
Hi all,

What is the reduced price of the modular ground school?

Just checked oxfords website and its still quoting £2.2K.

RowleyUK
10th Jan 2005, 17:44
Wheres Pete Quinlan,Oxford or Kemble??

G-SP0T
10th Jan 2005, 20:21
jamestkirk, does tha mean to sa you rcomend oxford or kemble?

jamestkirk
11th Jan 2005, 10:34
G-SPOT (great handle by the way)

I have not visited the facilities at Kemble so cannot comment. But as, their instructor Pete Begley said : have a look before you make the decision.

I was trained by Steve Tindle, Pete Begley and Steve Francis and found them reallly good. I definately DO NOT think they are the sort of people who would 'sell you short' or not be concerned about you or your academic welfare on the course.

Not sure who the other instructors are who left Oxford to go to Kemble.

Oxford has very good facilities and a few really good insructors. Although, we were not impressed with one or two of them and could not do much about it. On site accommodation is pretty expensive as well. I assume you are a modular student. If so, do not believe the hype about Oxford getting you a job etc. It's rubbish. They may get the odd person work but I saw many integrated people at the BALPA conference who had as much luck as the rest of us.

I might get an Oxford employee disagreeing with me on this but there are hundreds of us out there, who I am sure would agree with my point of view.

I know this does not definatively answer your question. It is a good idea to visit the schools and see what reception and advice you get.

Trust is the most important aspect when choosing a training organisation. In my opinion, the kemble guys are good guys. Oxford is a large organisation, so have certain commercial and reputation responsibilities. (sorry, not much help again)

I will stop waffling now and good luck with it

JTK

SORRY EVERYONE, JUST SEEN A PREVIOUS THREAD

£2,200 at Oxford

When I did it last year it was c.£5,000.

I think they may now be realising the profit potential and low cost per head of training modular students. I wonder if thier balance sheets are taking a hit now because of the competition at Kemble.

If Oxford spent a couple of minutes talking to modular\'s about flight training, they might have made a few hundreds of thousands more in profit.

Sorry, hogging the threads.

Bye

JTK

pugzi
11th Jan 2005, 12:13
Just to confirm, Oxford Prices are

Modular Full Time = £3995 (£4290 after March) http://www.oxfordaviation.net/courses/pilota-mod-ft.htm

Modular Distance Learning = £2200
http://www.oxfordaviation.net/courses/pilota-mod-dl.htm

Pugs

PGT
11th Jan 2005, 13:24
jamestkirk.

Thanks for all the positive remarks, always nice to get good feedback from ex students.

I will point out that the t- shirts were tight because of the exemplary physique available to this northern person.
All the guys here send their regards and wish you well. Hope to see you soon.

In response to your question on who are the other instructors at PGT Kemble. Check the web site http://www.pilotgroundtraining.com/
Cheers Steve Tindle

High Wing Drifter
11th Jan 2005, 14:06
Hey Pete,
You still doing that fire alarm noise ? Brilliant.
I wonder how it would compare to Alex's GPWS impression? Maybe somebody should burn a CD "The Best ATPL Ground School Cautions - Ever!"...or someting.

Pete Begley
11th Jan 2005, 16:02
Thanks folks, I always find that the C130 impression gets remembered, that and my aircraft touching down sound.

I also do a wicked horse whinney but that's not really useful for JAR :O