PDA

View Full Version : USB 1.1 Vs USB 2

BALIX
8th Jan 2005, 22:36
Apologies if this has been covered before. My PC has several USB ports at the back. They are all, I believe, USB 1.1. If I were to purchase an item labeled as having a USB 2 connection, would it work?

Also, is it a major deal 'converting' my old USB 1.1 ports to new USB 2s to benefit from the higher data transfer speeds?

Thanks in advance...

Toxteth O'Grady
8th Jan 2005, 23:00
Yes they would as USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. You will however be stuck with 1.1 speeds unless you upgrade, so paying a premium for a USB 2 peripheral is not worth it if you can get the same item cheaper using 1.1.

Easy to upgrade your PC by buying a USB 2 PCI card.

hth

FunkyMunky
8th Jan 2005, 23:00
The USB 2.0 device should work with USB 1.1 (at slower speeds) if it is marked as being backwards compatible, as far as I know. Some devices can be picky and usually state specifically on the back that they will not work with USB1.1 (usually high bandwidth devices like video capture units and the like).

Normally you can't convert USB1.1 ports to USB 2.0, but you can buy a PCI card with USB2.0 compatibility relatively cheaply. Such cards may come with a firewire socket as well.

BALIX
9th Jan 2005, 11:05
Thanks guys

The item I'm considering buying is a multi-memory card reader. Most of these are advertised as 2.0 products and whilst I've seen older 1.1 versions, the price difference is negligable.

willby
9th Jan 2005, 16:06
Just back from a trip to the USA where I purchased a PCI 4 port USB 2.0 card for $30 to replace my old 2 port 1.1 card.
Willby

ZH875
9th Jan 2005, 16:40
Expensive, I paid $24 for a 6 port PCI USB 2 card, but it does show the rough price they are available for.

AH64 APACHE
12th Jan 2005, 07:55
How can you tell if you have the 2.0 version of USB?

ZH875
12th Jan 2005, 08:41
Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controller - Mine indicates USB2,0 Root Hub for my USB2 card and no numbers for the 1.1

Toxteth O'Grady
12th Jan 2005, 12:35
If it's integrated in your motherboard then in device Manager for 1.1 all entries will be 'Universal Host Controller.' If it's USB 2 at least one of the entries will be 'Enhanced Host Controller.'

DeepC
12th Jan 2005, 19:27
Sorry to hijack...

One of my colleagues has just brought a USB 2 PCI card for his PC. He says that the card has two new usb ports at the back + one inside the case. As his computer currently has two USB ports on the front of the case he wants to connect these ports to the new PCI card. He reckons that the internal USB port is for this purpose.

The problem is that he has not got a cable that can link between the old USB ports which link straight to the motherboard and the internal USB socket. Any idea where in the UK he can source one of these cables?

He maybe barking up the wrong tree so please point that out if obvious and I'll set him straight.

Cheers

DeepC

goates
12th Jan 2005, 21:33
DeepC,

That is exactly what the internal port is for. Is the internal port identical to the external USB ports, or is just a bunch of pins?

goates

DeepC
13th Jan 2005, 08:15
Goates,

It's identical to the USB sockets on the outside of the card. I've just had a chat with him and he thinks that the old ports at the front of the case have a 'male' USB connector on the back. So essentially he is looking for a 40cm long USB extension cable.

Again, Does this sound feasible?

For info the PC is a HP Pavillion 7946 about 2 yrs old.

Thanks

DeepC

goates
13th Jan 2005, 14:51
DeepC,

Look for something like this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_81&products_id=1116&osCsid=33c782f17ca0b9b89c3ed0c81c7b01a7

After that, your friend would have to check the computer manual to see if they tell you the pin configuration for the front panel connections.

goates

Tone
13th Jan 2005, 17:26
The iPod blurb says it only works with USB 2. Is there a difference between 1.1 and 2 in the power available for a connected device?

AH64 APACHE
13th Jan 2005, 17:51
I had a look at the device manager but it just lists the devices and not what type they are just that they are USB root Hubs.

Where would it say more info - had a look in properties but no joy.

goates
13th Jan 2005, 17:53
USB 1.1 is much slower than USB 2. 480Mbps compared to 12Mbps. USB 2 may provide more power too, but usually USB 2 device will work in the older ports at the slower speed.

Devices like the iPod want the higher speed, otherwise it could take you a couple of days to load up your iPod. If you only have USB 1.1, you might want to look at getting a USB 2 PCI card.

loki

Toxteth O'Grady
14th Jan 2005, 03:48
@ah64

Should look like this. (http://premium1.uploadit.org/ToxtethOGrady/usb2devman.JPG)

AH64 APACHE
14th Jan 2005, 11:16
Thanks for the link but mine say:
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (Three of them)
SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (one of them)
USB Root Hub (four of them)
What does this mean - I only have two USB ports.

:confused: :confused:

Toxteth O'Grady
14th Jan 2005, 11:53
If it's USB 2 at least one of the entries will be 'Enhanced Host Controller.'

SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (one of them)

Quod Erat Demonstrandum :8

All 4 will be USB 2 because it only needs one Enhanced controller.

expedite_climb
14th Jan 2005, 12:08
Tone,

I recently got a 4th gen IPOD and it works fine with USB 1.1 on my laptop. Granted it 'aint fast, but then neither is ITUNES for ripping CD's.... It also charged through the USB OK.

AH64 APACHE
14th Jan 2005, 12:31
Muchas Gracias Toxteth:ok:

Toxteth O'Grady
14th Jan 2005, 14:58
De nada, no problema Senor :=

Ropey Pilot
21st Nov 2005, 10:51
Just bringing this back to the top as I don't want to be accused of not searching:O

I bought a USB2 card with 2 ports for my PC

However every time I connect a USB2 device I get the warning that it would be much quicker if I connected it to a USB2 port (which I have:mad: )

Looking at my hardware profile there is no mention of 2.0

Have I been sold a fake? (by PC World - not from a car boot) / do I need to change a setting or will my motherboard just refuse to accept that such modern devices exist (it is a few years old - Athalon XP 1800+ 1.54 GHz chip - bought 2003)

Cheers!

ORAC
21st Nov 2005, 11:37
What´s your operating system?

Ropey Pilot
21st Nov 2005, 13:59
Operating on Win XP

ORAC
21st Nov 2005, 16:09
See if these (http://www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm) help.

Saab Dastard
21st Nov 2005, 22:05
RP,

It may simply be that you haven't got the right driver for the PCI USB card, so the O/S is seeing it as 1.1.

It may also be a BIOS setting that needs adjusting (although that would be more likely with integrated USB ports).

I recently installed a Belkin 4-port USB 2.0 card in a 6 year old Compaq Deskpro, so I'd be simply astounded if this card didn't work in a 2-year old PC.

Just a thought - does your PC already have some USB 2.0 ports? I'd have thought that a PC that new might well have.

SD

Jhieminga
22nd Nov 2005, 13:42
If your system doesn't already have USB2 ports installed, the new ports will be added as 1.1 ports I think. You'll need to add a USB2 driver to get them to work at full speed, the link that ORAC posted may contain a suitable driver. As far as I know USB2 drivers are included in the XP service packs, so installing SP1 or SP2 might (cannot be sure!) also solve your problem. If you already have SP2 installed then this is not recommended.
Another option is to look at the card's manufacturer's website to see if they have drivers available.