PDA

View Full Version : GPS on CPL Skills Test

Pilot16
8th Jan 2005, 21:15
Is a portable GPS allowed on CPL skills test with only lat/long position displayed?

Crashlanding
8th Jan 2005, 21:30
From what I remeber a gps is allowed to only be able to display lat/long in text format.

But from personal experence by aircraft had twin 430's the examineer was less keen on the lat long page, but was happy on moving map page zoomed out to a realy silly scale (ie It showed the whole UK so was no use)

Aim High
8th Jan 2005, 21:37
I think not, but will need to check with examiner friends next week unless someonelse pops on here with the definitive answer

Position fixing on the diversion leg may be by instruments (VOR or NDB) according to JAR but also DME is commonly used and permitted

On your first leg you are meant to be tracking using outside references not radioaids

If your aircraft is equipped with a modest RNAV I advise you to tell the examiner that you will not utilise RNAV unless you are superbly competent with it

Pilot16
9th Jan 2005, 00:44
Isnt there something on this on the CAA website? I did a search there but no luck.

flighttime2.0
9th Jan 2005, 10:31
Pilot 16

Don't even consider asking the examiner or taking one with you there is absolutely no need for a gps system in the cpl test .
I would be nearly positive if you did ask him he would so no anyway but like I said there is no need and while were on the subject I would advise throwing that thing away till you have your cpl and Ir under your belt anyway , don't want to be relying on it mate .
In my cpl test , the arrow was fitted with a gps and the only thing we used it for was the comms frequencies because its connected to the same box.
For the Instrument part of your test the examiner likes to see you have good knowledge of the use of you instruments like for position fixes use of two vor radials or 1 vor radial and dme distance thats all mate forget the gps .. flighttime.

FlyingForFun
9th Jan 2005, 19:33
My CPL school, and my examiner, told me that you must know how to use every serviceable piece of equipment in your aircraft... the only exception being the moving-map mode of a GPS, which you are not allowed to use. (In fact, the school were careful to mark the Loran C equipment in some of their aircraft is "Inop", because without being labelled like this the examiner would be within his rights to ask us to use it.....)

Not sure how this relates to portable equipment, though.....

FFF
-----------------

EGBKFLYER
9th Jan 2005, 19:37
My a/c had a Garmin 430 also and we were briefed for both CPL and IR to have it on the Lat/ long page only. As Flightime says, there isn't any need for GPS on the skills test (thank God - I'd be even more overloaded having to fart about with one of those as well)

Pilot16
10th Jan 2005, 20:17
Thanks for all the replies, I was just curious recalling something my PPL instructor had said a long time ago, that you can use lat/long info from a GPS. Just wanted to verify that :O

silverknapper
10th Jan 2005, 22:07
Even if you could I would be wary. Going along at 130 kts if you spend too long trying to read the GPS then put the info onto your map it could go way wrong - stick with the good old tried and tested!!

Cheers