PDA

View Full Version : UAV hits helicopter over Iraq

Ian Corrigible
8th Jan 2005, 19:16
According to Rotorhub (http://www.shephard.co.uk/Rotorhub/Default.aspx?Action=745115149&ID=ca4720ca-db75-4c25-bd5a-669bb48caa40), a U.S. Army OH-58D Kiowa Warrior (presumably operating over Iraq) was hit by a 4 lb AeroVironment Raven mini-UAV, which "bounced off."

Brigadier General William Jacobs, Deputy Commanding General at the US Army Aviation Center, Ft. Rucker, said last year that the “number one threat” to helicopters flying at low level in Iraq was “the potential for a collision with a UAV.”

Heads-up out there...!

I/C

snafu
8th Jan 2005, 23:03
Brigadier General William Jacobs, Deputy Commanding General at the US Army Aviation Center, Ft. Rucker, said last year that the “number one threat” to helicopters flying at low level in Iraq was “the potential for a collision with a UAV.”

That'll be apart from the wires and pylons, NVG ops over a flat, low contrast surface, people shooting at you and the occasional MANPAD!

Does this guy have the slightest idea of what is actually happening out there?? :confused:

SASless
8th Jan 2005, 23:32
Snafu....

Since when did anyone at Fort Rucker in the head shed know his butt from anything.....cmon now! At least he acknowledged there is some risk to flying in Iraq.

I would suggest....RPG's and Manpads are a bit more of a threat than a friendly UAV but then what do I know?

Mikehegland
10th Jan 2005, 13:05
Maybe it wasn't a accidental collision....maybe it was the first recorded case of blue on blue between a helicopter and a UAV.

should in fact read...

Brigadier General William Jacobs, Deputy Commanding General at the US Army Aviation Center, Ft. Rucker, said last year that the “number one threat” to helicopters flying in Iraq was “the potential for being shot down by the Americans.”

Ignition Override
11th Jan 2005, 05:11
Mike, maybe so, but it is much easier to point out such possibilities on this forum, which seems to be practically 'dedicated' to the RAF and RN. It's easy to be a big fish in a small pond, in which few members of the US military 'swim': it is doubtful that more than a few members of the US military even read this forum.

Most of my flying has been as a civilian, and frankly, I hope that the troops over there will steadily be pulled out sometime soon. The more in-depth descriptions (from the best editorial which I've read about Iraq, either Friedmann of the NY Times, or Krauthammer of the Wash. Post Writers Group?) of the situation there indicate to me that it now consists of a long-suppressed civil war, unleashed by the fall of Saddam's government. And with our (still) naiive US thinking, we seem to believe that the country can fairly quickly become a democracy and begin to live by some sort of Magna Carta and Bill of Rights etc?

I'm certainly for supporting all of the troops, but must they be forced to stay there indefinitely in huge numbers?:(

Mikehegland
11th Jan 2005, 09:06
Now you are probably sending this thread down a rabbit hole and away from its initial point...but I have to say...

Why do you want Iraq to become a democracy ? Why do you want to thrust your political views down the throats of every tin pot nation?

Why did you invade Iraq?

Remember that we are here to defend democracy, not practice it.

SWA Aviator
11th Jan 2005, 23:52
Hey Mikehegland, First you have to have a democracy before you can defend it! I guess your one of those people that would rather react to an attack then prevent it! You most likely live in France! Wait I forgot, the US usually defends all of Europe!

BEagle
12th Jan 2005, 06:10
Eventually..............

As in the 1917-1918 and 1941-45 wars...

L J R
13th Jan 2005, 07:20
If you think you have civil rights and you practice it, why are there lots of individuals in Guantanamo Bay whithout rights, trial, lawyer, etc....

How would you like to be someone not particularly notable, be dragged out of somewhere not particularly notable to be put into a barbed wire compound with little future of anything.....

...lets get back to the UAV thing...

!