PDA

View Full Version : Military Assistance

alexmac
8th Jan 2005, 13:16
Hi people!

I am looking for some assistance from people in the field of military comms -

I am in the Air Training Corps and over the past 2 years have compiled a list of callsigns for my own uses. My main area of interest is callsigns and so I wondered if it would be possible for anyone out there to assist in the confirmation or addition of callsigns to my list? I usually get info from aircrew at airshows and on cadet camps and have always find them most interested and willing to help!

Anyway either reply to post or PM me :-)
Thanks
Alex

joe2812
8th Jan 2005, 16:27
http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk

Someone I know set that up but seeing as I have no interest whatsoever have no idea if it's good at doing what it's intended to do.

I did come across this page (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/new/milairband/ronking/freqfiles.htm) which seemed to do what you're after.

Check the forum on there so i'm told...

Also... google turns up lots of results on USAF/RAF callsigns, try it.

Out of interest, isn't freq scanning illegal? Or is it only if you re-transmit what you receive?

LoeyDaFrog
8th Jan 2005, 22:25
Joe,
Just to clear any (apparent) confusion - listening is OK, acting on anything you listen to is not. Cheshire's boys in blue used it once to sting a load of local scro...sorry criminals. Transmitted on the old police band that something was happening blah blah blah, and then nicked all the people who turned up.
Sneaky

Ops and Mops
8th Jan 2005, 22:38
LoeyDaFrog

Unfortunately you seem to have been given duff gen as the following is taken from the website of Ofcom, the regulatory body for radiocommunications in the United Kingdom.

Using radio equipment to listen in, except as provided by section 5(1)(b) of the WT Act, is an offence, regardless of whether the information is passed on.

The exceptions are:
a) licensed broadcasting stations (i.e Radio 1 etc)
b) amateur and citizens' band radio transmissions
c) weather and navigation transmissions

Or if granted permission by the Secretary of State (in the form of a licence or exemption from the Wireless Telegraphy Act.

Further details can be found here (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/codes_guidelines/radio_comms/enforcement/ofw156?a=87101)

In summary, it is not illegal to buy or own a scanner, but it is illegal to listen to ANY transmissions apart from those detailed above, including both civil and military airband.

SirToppamHat
9th Jan 2005, 10:04
Of course, as a member of the Air Training Corps, it would be pretty difficult for the powers that be to take any sort of action given that the ATC is funded by the MoD and, IIRC, its aim is to foster air mindedness amongst youth. Also, when I was in the ATC (happy days), one of the activities we got involved in was wireless/radio.

The following site is probably of interest on the military side:

Yorkshire Aircom TADs (http://www.g1uvk.fsnet.co.uk/tads.htm)

I have absolutely no connection with the site whatsoever, and cannot say whether the information is accurate. From that initial link, click on Home at the bottom to get access to more information, including callsigns used. There are also some links to other sites on the Home Page.

Good Luck.

alexmac
9th Jan 2005, 10:48
Hi thanks for the replies.

As i say, the topic was aimed at RAF Aircrew who will have the most upto date info as i've found at airshows and on camps...

Information lists on the net are never 100% correct, and most of the time only 50% of the info is anywhere near accurate.

Ahh well the quest goes on :confused: as said if any RAF Aircrew or Air Traffic Controllers could assist, please get in touch.

Cheers
Alex

joe2812
9th Jan 2005, 11:08
Could be worth a post in Spotters Corner, might turn something up.

Itsrainingagain
9th Jan 2005, 19:18
Am an ATC-er - PM me with ones you are unsure of and I will see if I know anything - not promising though, Im getting a bit old!:ok:

Razor61
10th Jan 2005, 00:02
Alex,

PM me and tell me what you need