PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access the Internet

Scottie Dog
8th Jan 2005, 10:54
My father - aged 88 - has lost access to the internet.

Unfortuntely he is 200 miles away from me and so I am unable to access his PC - and in anycase I am basically computer illiterate!!

I plan to visit him in the next couple of weeks and would appreciate any suggestion as to how to get him (the computer f course) back on line as I obviously will not be able to post this request when I am there.

All that I know is that he is running on Windows XP and runs on a dial up (no such luxury of broadband where he lives) through Freeserve.

My apologies for such a vague request but would appreciate any help and suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Scottie Dog

ETOPS773
8th Jan 2005, 12:55
Okay,
1.Check the phone line for constant dial tone (clear any 1571 / call minder messages if you get the intermittent dial tone),and make sure the line isn`t noisy or crackling as this can cause problems.

2.Check all wires are connected from the phone point to back of the PC-Remove any adaptors that may be plugged in as they can cause problems.

3.Ask him to click on the Internet explorer icon and prompt the pc to dial out,when doing this ask him to make sure his logon details are there (username,password and dial up number)

4.Ask him to try to connect,and write down any error messages that may show up if problems persist.

Memetic
8th Jan 2005, 13:49
Test the modem, microsoft have a trouble shooting guide here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/mode_test_modem.mspx

Take details of a another ISP with you, PM me if you want details of some that you don't need to register for. This will let you get round any problems with Freeserve ID/ Password / expired accounts so you can get on line to Freeserve to fix the account if that is the problem.

Take a spare modem with you :)

Scottie Dog
8th Jan 2005, 16:23
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

It would appear - now that I have spoken to the Dinosaur, said in effectionate tones - that his problem is not actually with the internet but with Outlook Express.

Having said that, he apparantly had guests in for lunch today and somebody has found him a local contact who will hopefully come and look at the computer in the next couple of days.

Is'nt the electronic world amazing? You post a question and get so much support from people you don't even know within such a short space of time. Thanks again for the help.

Scottie Dog