PDA

View Full Version : Win98 defrag/Cosmi pop-up killer

BUMPFF
8th Jan 2005, 05:14
1. My Win 98 defrag function, hitherto satisfactory, has begun to hang when only 2% complete. Anyone know the possible cause?

2. Having installed the Cosmi pop-up killer, which cost only GBP10.00, it works fine but when I attempt a search it breaks the ISP connection. A trawl of their web site for updates merely invites me to buy another program for USD45. Did I just buy advertising?

Thanks in advance.

Mac the Knife
8th Jan 2005, 05:49
1) Are you running out of disk space? Delete some crap (temp/tmp files etc.) and try again.

2) Yup!

Toxteth O'Grady
8th Jan 2005, 07:42
Have a look in Task Manager and make sure you end all processes except Explorer and Systray before running defrag. Also do a Scandisk first.

BOAC
8th Jan 2005, 08:21
Ages ago on this forum someone advised me to run defrag in 'SAFE' mode in 98 - that sorted it out. I think it may have been due to 'resident' functions calling for disk access during defrag. I'm now on W2000 with no such problems.

carholme
8th Jan 2005, 14:06
I operate 98 on my main computer and XP on my laptop. The best defragger for W98 is to download the defrag tool for Win ME and use it. If you have a problem and want to know how to do it, PM me and I'll get it for you.
You just download the ME defrag, change the existing defrag to defrag.old and install the Me defrag.

Regards,
carholme