PDA

View Full Version : What are my options for obtaining an ATPL from armed forces flying experience?

johnny 5
6th Jan 2005, 18:51
Anyone who can help?

Im just running up to the end of my co-pilot tour on herc and im seriously thinking about a move to the airlines within the next 5 years. Although I ask and hear many similar stories about obtaining an ATPL, what im really interested in are the options available to me, without the 1000 hrs command. Although im hoping to get my captains tour and the required hours, im just as interested in what I can do if im sent to CFS or fail to get 1000 hrs? Is it worth me doing anything in the next year or so and if so, how much will it all cost?

Thanks alot

J5

santiago15
6th Jan 2005, 21:48
J5,

Try downloading LASORS2005.PDF from

http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=1591

It's not the most user friendly document but full of useful info. Best of luck

S15

P-T-Gamekeeper
6th Jan 2005, 22:06
Try the CAA here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2005.PDF) under LASORS Sect 1 D3 or G2

Or here (http://www.tgda.gov.uk/CAA_Accreditation/CAAAccreditation.htm) for the TGDA website

Without 1000hrs capt, you may still qualify for some exemptions.

PM me with your details if you want a chat at work

enicalyth
14th Jan 2005, 04:49
From this timestamp you can guess red eye not red rat! I've asked a few questions about pilot recruitment at Birdseed. At the moment there are a whole bunch of pilots who are coming up to 55 and due for retirement over the next few years. However, age legislation due to come in in 2006 may force BA to allow pilots to fly on until they are 60 which would make recruitment less necessary. So, at the moment it is a case of watch this space. Once the legislation wording has been finalised and BA knows the impact, it will either start to recruit or not. Going back to the days when BA had its own pilot training school at Hamble, the only external recruitment was done through the MoD whereby RAF, Navy, Fleet Air Arm and Army pilots came in to BA at a level above new entrant but always co-pilot (as opposed to Captain!). When I spoke to my opposite number I forgot to ask if this arrangement still exists. I will ask this week and let you know.

beerdrinker
14th Jan 2005, 05:12
Enicalyth,

<< RAF, Navy, Fleet Air Arm and Army pilots came in to BA at a level above new entrant but always co-pilot >>

Not true any more and has not been for a long time.

Enhanced seniority on joining was not just for mil pilots but applied to everybody who had more than the minimum hours.

Was stopped a long time ago and now all join in strict seniority order - date of joining.

Mind this has caused a few moans. "Whingeing wincos" who knew exactly what the conditions were when they signed on the dotted line complained afterwards that with their hours of experience (helos, FJ, as well as multi !) they deserved enhanced seniority.

BEagle
14th Jan 2005, 06:22
johnny5 - did you find the answers you needed in LASORS?

Regarding ba, it is interesting that a few people have been turning down offers from them of late. With a firm job offer from one airline, a very experienced multi captain was told that he'd passed part 1 of ba's assessment. "Unless you give me a firm job offer by next week, then no thanks" was the answer!

I was also told by someone at ba who is in the know that, if they don't get a substantial number of pilots wanting to stay on beyond 55 (it the legislation comes in), then they will need to recruit very actively!

newt
14th Jan 2005, 23:27
For the last 5 years BA has been reducing its pilot workforce through natural wastage at age 55. This has meant more increased work for those lucky to be under 55 and got rid of all the expensive pilots on the old pension scheme. They are now in the process of looking at an extension of retirement age to 60. But they are still short of pilots and must recruit some more in order to man the fleets. Many new recruits will be put off by the lack of a pension scheme (the scheme has been closed to new entrants for some time) and the very high workload( up to 900 hours per year) There should be lots of opportunity for all those who want to spend most of there working life locked in the cockpit with little or no contact with the cabin crew or the passengers!! The grass may look greener but I can assure you it is not.....

beerdrinker
15th Jan 2005, 06:37
Newt,

Check PM's

BEagle
15th Jan 2005, 07:14
Indeed - it was the thought of 900 hours per year locked in a cupboard with a stranger which put me off any idea of leaving for the airlines even though I do have an ATPL......

How many in the 55+ bracket really want 5 more years of such a dreadfully poor lifestyle?

It used to be said that the only advantages of working for ba was that they 'hosed you down with money' and gave you an excellent pension. And there was the opportunity to mix with the cabin crew and passengers - now that's gone. The lo-cos have lowered the status of airline pilots irredeemably, heavy handed security and the jackals of the gutter press have also taken their toll.

Why on earth anyone would want to work for ba or any other airline nowadays is a mystery to me. I'm told that candidates coming forward for selection are nowhere near the standard of their predecessors and many lack any real interest in aviation at all.