PDA

View Full Version : Help! What Route To ATPL + Type Rating?

VSFlightAttd
6th Jan 2005, 14:49
Hello Learned Ones!

Please could you help a wannabe with some advice? I want to fly for the airlines as a pilot, after 12 years in the cabin I am ready to upgrade!

Do I go for a scheme such as with Stapleford/Astreaus where you get a 737 type rating with ATPL, or do my ATPL seperately with someone like Oxford or Cranfield and then go for, say, an A32X type rating after that?

Can you really get a job without a type rating?

It all seems a bit daunting at the moment with so many options and schools out there.

On another note, what kind of Maths/Physics do you specifically need to know for selection to a school so I can start revision now!

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

VSFA

VSFlightAttd
7th Jan 2005, 17:14
Can anyone help please?

Cheers

Jinkster
7th Jan 2005, 17:25
I'd try to get a copy of the book, a guide to getting a CPL by clive hughes.

Great read, failing that I would write an email to all the flying schools asking for information about the courses they run.

My advise, modular course - much cheaper!

Jinkster

VSFlightAttd
7th Jan 2005, 19:34
Thanks Jinkster! Do modular course students get the same chance from airlines or do they prefer integrated students?

Cheers

Jinkster
7th Jan 2005, 21:57
Err good question.

Cant really answer that at the moment, will let you know in a couple of months time!

Good luck and any more help just let me know,

Jinkster

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Jan 2005, 10:12
VS,

It may be worth doing extensive searches on the subject matter you are talking about. It has pretty much been discussed to death on PPRUNE.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the integrated/modular issues, just grab it by the balls and go for it!

VSFlightAttd
8th Jan 2005, 11:52
Cheers CAT3C, will do!

Teroc
10th Jan 2005, 14:42
VS,
Integrated versus Modular as suggested earlier has been discussed at length. Check the search option. Its an argument that keeps running. If you get called for the interview and theres people from both camps there the company has decided its down to the individual on the day so dont worry.

Yes you can get a job without a type rating, but you'll have to do one before you can fly with the airline.

Normally the airline will offer you the job first and then you'll get your rating through them. Some make you pay for it (Ryanair), some give it to you for "free" (ahem) and bond you for a number of years (the 'old' way of doing things)...and some do both !!(Ryanair again !!)

If you go get a rating before youve even spoken to the airlines the chances are it will have expired long before you get your first job. In my opinion its not worth the expense.

You'll get 20 hours on a jet simulator anyway as part of your MCC which will prepare you for the sim ride you'll need to pass as part of the airline selection process. And remember if you have a type rating already the examiner will be expecting you to be hotter than the other wannabees when it comes to your sim check / interview for the job !!

Mathematics is 'O' level stuff at best, the same with the physics. You can go into it further but basic Albegra will get you by. I was and still am cr*p at maths. I didnt do physics in school, opted for Biology instead !! But I passed all the atpls first time so dont worry too much. Memory, lots of hard work and a bit of luck gets you through.

Best of luck....

T