PDA

View Full Version : Westflight Gloucester

737pammy
6th Jan 2005, 08:26
I noticed recently that Westflight have had no ads in the flying press, and their website seems to be down. Does anybody have any idea whether they're still trading?

African Drunk
6th Jan 2005, 09:10
Finishing off last couple of students at the moment and then they are closing.

craig1975
6th Jan 2005, 12:19
Is there any idea why Westflight is closing?

BillieBob
6th Jan 2005, 14:00
The owner can make more profit from renting out the hangar than he can from financing a flying school

Snigs
6th Jan 2005, 15:26
It's a shame because I think Chris and the team were actually trying to do something worthwhile in the training. They weren't just interested in churning out CPL/IR's but a more rounded commercial pilot with a better readiness to go to the airlines. Unfortunately there wasn't enough support from the people that mattered.

tom775257
6th Jan 2005, 16:12
It is a shame that it has closed, but I guess there are a number of reasons why. Due to Westflight at its largest only having 3 instructors, it would have been uneconomic to hire another member of staff for admin, therefore I think this gave Chris a large amount of work which must have been hard to deal with on top of his normal job running another company. Also with increasing costs for both fuel and approach fees etc. it is difficult to keep costs competitive without a simulator.

Chris has set up an excellent flying school that achieved results that reflected this. For example so far my instructor Barrie Thomas has never had one of his students fail or even partial at Westflight– every single student of his achieved first time passes on CPL/ME/IR, and with no selection.

The integrity of Chris and the instructors has been proven beyond doubt over the last month. I have had 4 IR tests cancelled due to weather now (genuine bad weather I might add!). My 170A was about a month ago now, but Chris has kept Westflight open with all the facilities available to me for this last month. I haven’t been flying much – perhaps 2 hours in the month, but they have kept the aircraft insured and the school open. I wouldn’t like to think how much it costs to keep a perfectly serviceable Seneca sitting on the ground doing nothing.
My instructor has also been an absolute star, being available whenever I need him to fly, meanwhile not being able to get a fulltime job elsewhere due to me. For his efforts I am exceedingly appreciative. A big thank you to Chris, Barrie and Mark for all their help.

On a side note I really hope Monday will bring a first time pass for me and perhaps finally my IR saga will be over. Then maybe I will finally get some sleep…

African Drunk
6th Jan 2005, 16:33
BillieBob put another way: The owner can lose less money from renting out the hangar than he can from financing a flying school.

They where a great bunch of instructors with a great idea but they hadn't really worked out the figures correctly. And they must be given credit for getting all the students done before they shut down.

Captain101
8th Jan 2005, 00:53
African Drunk - No - BillieBob was correct.
The figures were always correct, but with ever increasing fuel prices a CPL/IR course completed actually in the aircraft can no-longer competitivley priced. A very sad day.

A big thanks to Chris, Mark and Barrie for getting me through with all 1st time passes and for providing a fantastic training enviroment.

Tom - best of luck with the IR skills test

Anybody up for a Westflight get- together? I think the staff are all owed a few drinks!

African Drunk
8th Jan 2005, 10:06
Captain101 just a point if you hire the a/c wet at the same rate from day one I don't think oil prices will affect you that much.

jthall
8th Jan 2005, 11:11
The training a received at WF was second to none! - Such a unique package that will be hard matched by anyone else.

does anyone know where Barrie and Mark are going next- as i would like to keep in touch. And Chirs, if your reading this then what are you going to do with that lovely turbo arrow. both myself and Graham would be dissapointed to see it go without one last flight (if it could be arranged?)

anyway lets have a reunion to celebrate WFs success

JAson

forgot to add:

Tom and Captain 101 check you PMs

tom775257
8th Jan 2005, 12:48
Aha, a Westflight night on the lash. Now that sounds like a plan.

I'm sure we could get quite a few ex-students to come along, I assume the instructors and owner will join us, perhaps invite the Gloster ATCers also.

or

hows about we try and get G-IS and G-GV and do a trip to Alderney?? Don't know whether that would be possible though.

Captain101: give us a clue to your identity!

tom775257
10th Jan 2005, 23:06
First time pass IR. First time pass CPL/ME etc. ATPL theory 96.5% Ave. Self Sponsored type rating here I come.

Orvil
11th Jan 2005, 15:25
Hello,
I was going to start my CPL/ME/IR this month with Westflight but was told the bad news by Chris in December.
I believe the Instructors are going to another local school, BCT Kemble ? Is this correct?
I would like to follow them as I was very impressed by there commitment to the student.
I am now going to Spain for the IR (the only place left where it's all flying and no Sim at reasonable cost). I am now looking for a CPL school in the Glos/Wilt area.

Any advice, greatly received.

Orvil.:O