PDA

View Full Version : Helo Pilot - Min height

twrchick
6th Jan 2005, 03:38
Hi,

Could someone tell me what the minimum height for a helo pilot is in the US and UK please. (I did try to find it on the recruitment sites)

Ta

swampy_lynx_puke
6th Jan 2005, 04:49
:O Always keep a positive height on the QFE or above airfield height on the QNH, never go below zero on the RADALT.

Training Risky
6th Jan 2005, 07:39
Down to ground level on the SH force:O

Gregg
6th Jan 2005, 11:28
USN and USMC:
Min height for female- 58 inches. For male- 62 inches USN, 66 inches USMC.
Other requirements:
Sitting Height (SH) 32-41 in.
Functional Reach (FR) 28 in. or more
Buttock Knee Length (BKL) 21.9-28 in.
Buttock Leg Length (BLL) 36-50 in.

Not sure how you meet a total of 32 inch sitting height with a leg length of 36 inches with a total height of only 58 inches?????

Big Cat Handler
6th Jan 2005, 21:06
Not sure how you meet a total of 32 inch sitting height with a leg length of 36 inches with a total height of only 58 inches?????
Don't forget that both measurements there include the buttocks, so that's counted twice. So there may well be a minimum ar$e size for pilots, which explains a lot...

BCH

twrchick
6th Jan 2005, 22:14
thanks guys!!

I don't know why they want Aussie pilots to be so tall. (163cm, roughly 64 inches). As far as I am aware the army don't train in ejection seat aircraft - and supposedly that is what the min height is set for.

Runaway Gun
7th Jan 2005, 15:34
It's not just height to see over the instrument panel, but other measurements like reach are important. You have to be able to flick all the switches when strapped in tightly. And you have to use the rudder pedals as well (although I still haven't figured them out).

Keep strength in mind too. You might have to really heave on that collective, especially during emergencies.

JTIDS
7th Jan 2005, 20:48
Not sure how relevant it is, but if your thinking RAF limits the initial recruitment for aircrew means you have to be withing fast jet size limits. Which was a real pain for me as had to get rid of shed load of weight to be able to use an ejection seat my helo doesn't have!

PropDuster
9th Jan 2005, 07:42
Find something large to sit on TC or start working on that minimium arse size :O

mr hanky
9th Jan 2005, 08:47
I would've thought that with helicopters the shorter you are the better, so you don't have to bend over so far when running to or from the machine when its blades are turning.

SASless
9th Jan 2005, 13:24
If arse size matters...my ex-wife could have been a C5 pilot! If she ever had to haul it....she would have had to make two trips!:{