PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Must Go

Razor61
6th Jan 2005, 03:07
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4150095.stm

I'll take it! sad thing my place isn't big enough!

allan907
6th Jan 2005, 07:59
He'll need to sell a goodly number of pints of Walloper's Old Ale to cover the cost of moving it (twice). If he manages to break it into its major components it'll be the devil of a job to get it back together again.

airborne_artist
6th Jan 2005, 08:14
Plenty of space for it here at Artist Towers - it'd give the horses something to look at when they are bored of the Merlins from Benson playing pylon chicken.

Krystal n chips
6th Jan 2005, 14:54
BBC Look North West had an article in the Lunchtime edition. Seems that time runs out tomorrow but that the following options are available.
1. Pay rent to Blackpool until it can actually be moved to the new site.

2. Move the thing to another part of the Airport and wait etc. --chances of getting it to move of course being less than sweet f$$k all !

er, that's it.

Interview with the new owner was quite amusing though---apart from "minor detail":confused: of not having planning permission--he seem even more perplexed as to why the costs of his little project just keep going up --and up--- and up !. I agree though, that if he ever does get into the meat of the structure, he will find it very difficult to put it all back in one piece as it were.

Evanelpus
6th Jan 2005, 15:49
Now if that was me, I would have found out this kind of info before bidding.

It's not like travelling up to Blackpool with a van to collect a bed, now is it?

If this all goes tit$ up, like it looks as though it will, this guy will find himself seriously out of pocket.

Eagle 270
6th Jan 2005, 23:03
Watch out for a very cheap Vulcan on EBay shortly, three owners from new. (Buyer must collect).

bluetail
7th Jan 2005, 18:26
I gather most of it will end up in a local scrappies regardless of this issue anyway, because the guy who foolishly purchased it apparently was only going to display the cockpit section at his pub.

This aircraft is a classic example of how not to preserve our heritage, I went to see it last July and was dismayed with what I saw.

Sorry to say it but put it out of its misery and chop it up, even saving the cockpit would be difficult because it would be a massive task to restore it, I gather anyway the cockpit has suffered from loads of vandalism over the years, when I saw it the crew door was open.

The pub owner who bought it was silly and was obviously suffering from some of his trade.

nuff said

BT

Razor61
17th Jan 2005, 16:28
Further to the original post, here is an update from the BBC.

Vulcan bomber plans 'fall apart'

Chris Ollerenshaw may only be able to move parts of the plane.

A landlord who bought a Vulcan bomber on the internet is seeing his plan to put it in his pub garden fall apart.
Chris Ollerenshaw, from Dukinfield, Greater Manchester, bid £15,102.03 for the former RAF bomber on the auction site eBay in November.

The plane has been stationed at Blackpool Airport for 21 years.

The new owner has discovered that the plane is in such a fragile condition it might be difficult to reassemble, and will cost £20,000 to transport.

Mr Ollerenshaw hopes the bomber, which last saw service when it was on standby on Ascension Island in the Falklands War, will be an attraction at his pub, The Snipe Inn.

Mr Ollerenshaw is being charged £1,000 a week rent to keep the aircraft at the Blackpool Aviation Centre.

The plane has been Blackpool Airport for more than 20 years
He planned to take the plane apart and transport the pieces in 12 lorries to his pub, at a cost of £20,000.

He said: "I went to see it and could put my finger through the panels. It's not in a good condition.

"It gets blasted by sand in bad weather and salt water in good weather, and it's been there for 20 years. I've got three options; scrap it, salvage parts of it or take the risk and take it apart.

"I think I will just end up with parts of it, probably the front end, seats and engine.

Engineers are meeting to decide whether the plane is transportable.

"Despite all this I still don't think it was a bad idea to buy it. People thought it was a cracking idea at first."

Mr Ollerenshaw is waiting for planning permission to station the aircraft in his beer garden.

Krystal n chips
17th Jan 2005, 16:36
Thus stating the bl££ding obvious !--but give the guy his due. With project and costing skills of such high calibre-----surely both the M.o D and BWaS will be beating a path to his pub to offer him a senior position in the near future :hmm:

Green Meat
17th Jan 2005, 21:25
Option A: Manchester to Blackpool, ooh let's say £20 worth of fuel each way allowing for strong headwinds, overloaded with pax (okay, pub regulars out for a jolly), perhaps a bit more in a gas guzzler.

The airport isn't hard to find, if you drive past it the golden grainy stuff that your car sinks into is, well, the beach.

Hmm. £40, plus nipping to McDonalds to use the loo and consume fine gourmet fast food to see the thing you're bidding for, or;

Option B: £15k+ on what amounts to a game of blind brag.

Tough, tough choice.

MLS-12D
17th Jan 2005, 21:41
"Despite all this I still don't think it was a bad idea to buy it. People thought it was a cracking idea at first".He is insane! Has he learned nothing from this experience?

In my experience, other people are always keen on spending one's money in strange or unproductive ways ...

Mr Ollerenshaw is being charged £1,000 a week rent to keep the aircraft at the Blackpool Aviation Centre.Okay, the fellow is a fool, but the rent being levied seems rather excessive to me. "The plane has been stationed at Blackpool Airport for 21 years"; what's the huge rush? Yes, I know he contracted to remove it within one week, but £1,000 a week rent?!

If I were him, I think that I'd just write off the £15,102.03 and walk away from the whole project, before things get worse.

Gainesy
18th Jan 2005, 08:35
With monetary skills like that, I bet twofers nights at his pub are a hoot. Wander what his missus said?:uhoh:

Razor61
18th Jan 2005, 15:24
It's a pity that they (Blackpool Airport) couldn't be bothered to build a cheap 'shed' to put the Vulcan in many years ago to keep it in good nick for everyone to view instead of letting it corrode away in that sea air.
Heathrow has Concorde to stand guard, why not Blackpool having a Vulcan?

bluetail
18th Jan 2005, 15:49
Razor61
"It's a pity that they (Blackpool Airport) couldn't be bothered to build a cheap 'shed'"

For a start they didn,t own it so why should they, and exactly what has a Vulcan got to do with Blackpool anyway.

Blackpool Airport have probably every right to charge that amount of money, they would probably get that from Carparking fees from the ground its on, if the heap wasn,t there looking for what it is, a sad rusty eyesore

BT

Krystal n chips
18th Jan 2005, 16:31
Gainsey---when the hero in question was last interviewed--they also interviewed his wife-----unlike her husband, she openly admitted that it had all gone wrong, that the bills were mounting up and that she was worried---as well she might be !--and looked it as well !-------he just had an inane "grin" on his face---the eternal optimist I suppose. Sad it's all turning ou this way though. I am all for the preservation of a/c but I do wish that when joe public decides to get involved in projects like this, they at least have the acumen to ask people who do have an aviation background, in whatever context--as to the problems they may expect to encounter. In this case, a serious talk with a few engineers would have saved a lot of expense

L Peacock
18th Jan 2005, 19:52
The nicest thing I can think to say about the guy that previously owned the Vulcan is that he has a reputation for being.....well....not very nice!

Zoom
18th Jan 2005, 21:06
He should contact the gang at Bruntingthorpe who are trying to get a Vulcan airworthy and (gasp!) airborne. They might need some of his bits - but not his brain cells.

ANW
3rd Jun 2005, 19:20
Blackpool Vulcan Update

Despite being sold on eBay, the old girl remains rotting by the seaside.

Apart from making a small fortune from the sale of the aircraft, the former owner decided to charge a parking fee, following the new owner's failure to dismantle and move the aircraft within the agreed time frame. This now amounts to a tidy sum and former owner is now apparently seeking payment through the courts.

In turn the new owner is expected to launch a counter claim, stating he was not made aware of the aircraft's condition at the time of purchase. :rolleyes:

Buyer beware. A sorry tale indeed.

Onan the Clumsy
4th Jun 2005, 02:42
Wasn't Vulcan the God of Tort?

SASless
4th Jun 2005, 03:15
21 years at 1000 Pounds Sterling per week....errrrr...that is about 1.1 million Pounds Sterling rent to Blackpool Airport is it not? Now I know things are high priced in the UK...especially anything to do with the CAA and aviation but my dear....that does seem a bit steep.
:mad:

Onan the Clumsy
4th Jun 2005, 03:23
These are from a few years ago, maybe even prior to 1998:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/onan_the_clumsy/P1010015.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/onan_the_clumsy/P1010014.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/onan_the_clumsy/P1010013.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/onan_the_clumsy/P1010011.jpg