PDA

View Full Version : JAA fATPL to FAA CPL/IR

student-mork
5th Jan 2005, 18:55
I Know, I know, its a backasswards way of doing things but has anyone looked into converting a JAA fATPL over to an FAA one?
Will it be a paper exercise (with some written exams) or will it be the full monty with flight tests and all that?
Ive had a quick check in the archives and not seen anything that answers my question.
Thanks

youngskywalker
6th Jan 2005, 11:16
Hi,

I'm not 100% sure of exactly what you will need to do but certainly you would need:

FAA first or second class medical
FAA CPL written exam
At least 3 hours training shortly before doing the check ride
Check ride with examiner

Have a look at the FARAIM book that can be bought from Transair, that shoud outline exactly what you need to do. There are of course lots of new regulations regarding foreign pilot licences.

It's not as easy a process as most UK ATPL holders are led to believe, the exams are easier but I doubt if the check ride will be!

Hope that helps

YS

Tinstaafl
6th Jan 2005, 18:29
You'll need to meet the FAA min. experience requirements. If you want IFR privileges then you'll also have to do the IR theory exam & flight test for the same.

It's easier if you have an ATPL. No minimum training required, just do the ATP theory exam & flight test. The FAA ATP includes an integral IR so no additional IR tests either.

You'll still have to jump through the US 'security' paranoia.