PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox/Google Question

Kestrel_909
5th Jan 2005, 15:45
Hello All,

I'm having problems with Firefox 1.0, and indeed IE now that I've checked.

When I do a search in the window in Firefox, it brings up Google.de rather than .com or .co.uk.

Typing google.com into the address bar results in the same, and exact same thing in IE.

The only way I seem to get .co.uk or .com to show up is to search for them in google.de and click on the result links:uhoh:

Any ideas how to remedy?

Thanks

phnuff
5th Jan 2005, 16:23
Interesting - I have just checked and mine finds .co.uk ok (I am in the UK).

I have found that if you follow the Add Engines link, you go to a mozilla site and can click on the Google Search Engine and then it wuill give you a chance to add the google uk plug in

That should do. Now how top remove the one I dont want . . .

shaky
5th Jan 2005, 16:46
Try going to about:config (just type that into your address bar and press enter) find the entry "browser.search.defaulturl" and change it as required. You will need to close and re-open Firefox for it to become effective.

Edited to add that this can be used to delete an unwanted entry or you can right click on a toobar, select customise and drag the unwanted search bar away.

Kestrel_909
5th Jan 2005, 18:05
Thanks for the help,

Seems to have cured it with about:config method.

Thanks.:ok:

Diverse
5th Jan 2005, 22:59
If you would like to add search engines to Firefox then click here.Search engines (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html)

Also if you would like to remove a search engine then click on
My Computer,
C: drive,
Program Files,
Mozilla Firefox,
searchplugins,

delete what you don't want then restart Firefox.

I found it easier to remove them all then reinstall what I wanted.

You'll get a small input window with a google symbol in it on your task bar with a drop down arrow. I've installed Google UK and Google Images.

6th Jan 2005, 07:30
I have Firefox on my desktop and notebook and haven't changed any settings re the search engines. So when I'm in Switzerland it automatically goes to "Google.ch" and when I'm in Germany its "Google.de" needles to say, when I was in South Africa last week it went to "Google.co.za". It doesnt matter which Google you use, they all work the same as long as you have the first little circle next to "search the web" checked.