PDA

View Full Version : Visa

Farrell
4th Jan 2005, 19:48
Putting this here so that the super nice moderators can put it in the most appropriate place for me........;)

Having tried ALL DAY and failed utterly, I need to know from someone here.....I am doing my PPL in Florida in March and my school is going to send me an application for an M-1 visa which is required for me to enter the States to do the training.

My question.......I am Irish, hold a valid Irish passport BUT live in France......so, can I take the application to the French embassy in Paris, or do I have to go all the way back to Ireland to do it?

Thanks folks

Wayne :ok:

Carnage Matey!
4th Jan 2005, 19:55
You'd probably be better off going to the American embassy in Paris.:ok:

Farrell
4th Jan 2005, 20:02
I hope so. Otherwise the trip is going to cost me about four hour's worth of flying!

Re-Heat
4th Jan 2005, 21:45
Give them a phone call now - most of those places have information numbers. Would have thought it is possible.

variablepitch
4th Jan 2005, 22:03
I had an experience of trying to obtain a visa at short notice earlier this year. The london embassy had a really long wait so i called some of the european ones.

From memory i don't think the Paris embassy did accept applications from non-nationals however the Amsterdam embassy did.

If you call the visa serivce it will cost you about $15 but they will tell you where you can apply and how long the wait is.

Bear in mind that they will keep your passport whilst processing your visa though

NACGS
4th Jan 2005, 22:14
The rules state you attend the US Embassy nearest your current residence. I have known students who are from the UK getting the visa in Australia and also Thailand, and many others such as a French guy getting it in Nigeria.

Have a look around the www.state.gov website for the Embassy in question you will find its ok.

ABO944
5th Jan 2005, 15:10
Hi there!

When I needed to sort out my M1 Visa, I had the same reply from the US embassy in London (a nice 4 week wait) - so, I went to Lisbon, Portugal and had the appointment and visa issued in the same day!

The Consular chappy asked me why I had come to Portugal to get it sorted, and I simply said, I dont want to wait 4 weeks doing it through the embassy in London!

So, if you are desperate and can afford the expence of a plane ticket, go elsewhere!

Good luck!

Farrell
7th Jan 2005, 15:13
Thanks you guys....I think I'll give Lisbon a shot! Nice trip for the long weekend!