PDA

View Full Version : Navigation software for Pocket PC

seat 0A
4th Jan 2005, 12:47
A while ago I heard someone talk about a free program for Pocket PC that had a moving map displayed, flight planning module, the works. I seem to remember it was made by some Dutch private pilot.
Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks

Tinstaafl
4th Jan 2005, 22:32
It's called 'PocketFMS'. Can't remember the URL but a Google search should find it.

Atlas Shrugged
4th Jan 2005, 23:37
Here 'tis:

http://www.pocketfms.com/

A

seat 0A
5th Jan 2005, 07:47
Thanks a lot guys:D :ok:

BOAC
8th Jan 2005, 16:27
Thanks for the link, Atlas. I have downloaded and installed a trial but am 'flumoxed' on how to get it to link to my Navman 'jacket' GPS on an IPAQ 3870. Anyone know how to get the GPS satellite signals into Pocket FMS?

Coconutty
9th Jan 2005, 10:58
Have your Ipaq with Navman sleeve attached, switched on and connected to your PC in it's cradle...

Run PocketFMS on your PC and set it up with the flight plan / maps etc that you are going to use, then Click the "Synchronise CE Device button" on the top row ( 9 buttons from the left - icon has 2 small computer screens and a red connecting line between them.

This should then send the program, all the info and maps to your Ipaq.

You should then be able to start PocketFMS on your Ipaq - it will be in Start / Programs and you should also have an Icon to click on at the top of the Start Menu which looks like a Compass Rose.

Once you have started the program you may have to manually select the GPS device settings from the opening screen - your Ipaq with Navman will probably be "GPS On COM4" and 57600 Baud - if these aren't detected from the default Auto detect settings then you can change them manually.

Click on "Enable GPS" and make sure you are somewhere that the unit can "see" the satellites ( I found it didn't work too well from my Lounge ! )

Click the "Menu" button ( Bottom Left ) click the "Page" button ( Top right ) then the "Moving Map" button - once your Navman has locked on to the satellites your map should be displayed.

There are loads more instructions including how the program reconfigures the various Ipaq buttons for quick access - all this can be found on the help file which is included with program when you download it or it can be downloaded as a stand alone file here : PocketFMS Help File (http://www.pocketfms.com/2-downhelp.htm)

Have fun :-)

BOAC
9th Jan 2005, 11:25
Coco - 'notsonutty' - you are magnificent. Just knowing that it WOULD work with that sleeve was a great help, and - doh! - I was trying to make it work with Navman switched on.

Thanks - now I know where I am :D

Incidentally, autodetect was fine, and my Navman runs on Com5