PDA

View Full Version : Selling old aviation books

Dr Illitout
4th Jan 2005, 10:54
A happy new year to you all.

The time has come to rationalize the Illitout aviation archive!!.
Iv'e got dozens of aircraft books collected over the years and I was wondering if anybody knew of the best place to sell them?.
The vast majority of them are just run of the mill stuff, historys of individual types etc but there are a few "Gems". I just want a fair price for them that's all.
Are there any specialized sites for them or shall I Ebay the lot?

Rgds Dr.I.

P.S. I have a very nice book signed by Mr Farley, that's not going ANYWERE!!!!!

TD&H
4th Jan 2005, 12:01
Dr I have you tried getting in touch with Brian Cocks? He has many books up for sale, and is always after more. He is often seen at Shuttleworth. Should be able to get you his number if no-one else beats me to it.

How about selling them through Pprune? What rates would the Mods charge for an advert? Perhaps a simple one that say PM you for a list?

Do you have a list ready? If and when I'll be interested to receive a copy and then make an offer for any that appeal:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
4th Jan 2005, 12:57
No ads - sorry.

Best to place them with a aviation book seller. Google will tell you how.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jan 2005, 13:35
I've had some success buying and selling various oddments through eBay. I'd suggest either in books/non-fiction/transport or Aviation (or even both). The advert will cost you a few pennies, and the success rate is pretty good. Set aside an hour or two to register as a seller however, the first time you do it is a little tedious - after that it's quite easy.

G

Dr Illitout
4th Jan 2005, 14:41
PPRuNE Pop
I hope this didn't come over as a thinly veiled add, as it wasn't ment to be!!!!.
Thanks for the advice all, I'd better get into the loft and start a list!.

Rgds Dr I

Fake Sealion
4th Jan 2005, 15:00
Dr Illitout

Likewise, had a clear out of aviation books last month and sold over 40 on ebay -mainly from 1960's and 70's. It's an effective if somewhat time consuming process.
However - don't raise your hopes too much if you intend to raise money from magazines !
I still have over 80 prisitine Av mags from as far back as 1959 - no bids at all ??!

Good luck.

FS:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
4th Jan 2005, 17:12
Dr I. Not at all, not at all. My comment was in answer to the suggestion in the following post. I took it as it was meant anyway. I am sure he was simply trying to be helpful.

Discuss the titles all you want btw. Let those interested PM you or e-mail you is the best way. In other words work behind 'closed doors.' Hope that helps.

Happy New Year,

PPP

jimgriff
4th Jan 2005, 19:28
I'm always on the lookout for books or manuals to do with ejection seats/parachutes etc.
If you have any of these can I have first refusal?

respect....

TD&H
5th Jan 2005, 13:24
Pprune Pop,

Indead, my suggestion was meant as a way for Dr I to sell, and perhaps a bit of money to come Pprune's way. Nothing immoral, illegal or fattening intended!

Cheers H