PDA

View Full Version : Pilot X-over

run a mile
3rd Jan 2005, 15:19
Hi,

I have recently been successful in gaining entry to the RAF as a WSO.

I know of a couple of chopped pilots who are now navs but I was wondering what the chances were of progressing to the front seat from the back?

If anyone has any experience of this I would be most grateful to hear from you.

Many thanks

RAM

Flik Roll
3rd Jan 2005, 17:01
I think it's quite rare....I only know of 2 examples, one being the S/L on Combat Pilot who went nav to pilot quite late on in his career.

jayteeto
3rd Jan 2005, 17:05
It has happened a lot in the helicopter force. However, that was because of market forces, too many Navs and a shortage of pilots. In the current 'pilot surplus', x-overs will be rare. That said, you have to have a lottery ticket to be in the draw, so being a Nav is the first step.... Its not easy!!

caspertheghost
3rd Jan 2005, 17:17
As said above, it is quite rare to get a cross-over, but I know of at least 5 ex-navs who went through Linton around the same time as me who are now on frontline FJ squadrons. It has to be said that the RAF were keen on recruiting pilots at the time, and I'm afraid I don't know how easy it would be at the moment.
In the meantime enjoy being a nav and congratulations on getting in!

BEagle
3rd Jan 2005, 17:22
Are any airmen in ground trades getting commissioned as pilots these days? I did a PPL Skill Test on a lad last year who showed extremely good potential and had bags of spare capacity; later he went to DORIS with the full support of his FJ sqn boss - it'd be nice to know that, even in the current recruiting desert, some folk are still able to realise a dream.

Well Travelled Nav
3rd Jan 2005, 17:43
I read your report on him Beagle. The airman in question passed Part 1 and proceeded to part 2. However, I don't know what his final rec was.

BigGrecian
3rd Jan 2005, 19:17
Congratulations on getting in as a Nav. Given the currenty climate I would say your chances of a cross over are minimal.

Just a few questions - why were you selected as a Nav rather than pilot - if it was for medical reasons - it's probably never going to happen.
If it was aptitude - then you'll have to have been very competitive.

Your Nav flying career will be relativily short (nowadays) so I can only wish you the best.

Mach 2.2
3rd Jan 2005, 19:53
Good job you got chopped when you did then mate....

run a mile
4th Jan 2005, 18:03
Thanks for all the replies guys,

I guess I'll just get my head down for the next couple of years and try my best at being a nav!

mr ripley
4th Jan 2005, 18:10
In the RAF it is not enough to want to do something and having the requisite skills and ability. There has to be a need. If it is not in the Service Interest for you to change branches then you will not. Also consider not only will the pilot branch have to have a need for your services, but the WSO branch will also have to be happy with being one down.

Since the age window for pilot training is so narrow, it would appear that chances of crossover would be minimal. I have always advised people attending OASC that they should not accept a branch, if they are not prepared to be employed in that branch.

Nevertheless, circumstances change. For those reaching an exit, prospects for employment in the civil sector are good. On the grapevine, I suspect that more pilots will leave than the RAF are anticipating and therefore there may indeed be a need.

At Lyneham I know of 3 ex Navs, 1 ex Air Eng and 2 ex ALMs who are employed as pilots.

Good luck.

pba_target
5th Jan 2005, 14:00
just a note, the age limit (24 I think) for joining as a pilot doesn't apply to x-over aircrew..... hence the sqn ldr on combat pilot! As for the now... shouldn't worry about there bein to many pilots and not enough front seats, because, if the past is anything to go by, given 5 years or so we'll clearly all be under-staffed......

Door Slider
5th Jan 2005, 23:29
I know of 4/5 rotary ALMs who have been selected in the past 2 years for pilot and nav. The prospects still seem fairly realistic as a couple more have been picked up within the last few months.

JEVON
24th Jan 2005, 16:51
As a Nav on the edge of the training Axe at the moment I know of quite a few x-overs. One in particualr is of a WSO student who had done 3 weeks of WSO training and just completed Mooretrek and his request for a x-over was put through quite quickly. The reason he was not accepted in the first place was that his eyes weren't up to pilot standard, but on an eye test after joining it was revelaed that he was medically fit. They then gave him an instant cross over and he's now awaiting the start of his FJ course after very succesfuly completing EFT.

So there is hope!

Congrats on getting in, but do work hard, the scales are definately not tipped in your favour.