PDA

View Full Version : Charter Ops lobby group

185skywagon
2nd Jan 2005, 12:37
given the irrelevance of AOPA to commercial ops, isn't it time we started an association/lobby group that had charter interests at heart. In 5 years time there won't be many of us left that are able to operate within the rules, as they are going. It is time to stop undercutting each other and move in a common direction. we have to be able to bring the minister to heel. We will only do that with a united voice. He is, after all, from a rural area, and alledgedly understands GA. The left wing certainly is not the answer, given that we are only a mob of sivertails, in their view.
We have got to look at the big picture for all of us, not just one particular office of CASA.
you would have to be currently operating legally within the system to have credible input to this.
in fact, we have to take a leaf out of the air ag guys book, and have a lobbyist based where it does the most good. can we self regulate, utilising the wealth of experience from some of the ex GA guys. to do this you would need to operate within the spirit of the law. to do this we really need a switched on outfit to bring this to fruition.
i have just come away from dinner with the president of the SAAA. he says that there is no crdeible representation from any other party on the SCC for the rule rewrite (CAR's). God help us.
call me naive, but something's gotta happen.
i am prepared to be an intermediary to get this going. PM if interested.

Tail_Wheel
2nd Jan 2005, 14:00
"....bring the minister to heel. We will only do that with a united voice. He is, after all, from a rural area, and alledgedly understands GA."

Good luck son! If it aint Qantas he don't want to know about it! :yuk:

Have you tried The General Aviation Association (http://www.atua.org.au/biogs/ALE0541b.htm)??

"Brrrp, brrrp, brrrp - this is a recording. We're out to lunch. Call back in two years."

AOPA (http://www.aopa.com.au/), sorry, we're too busy with in fighting.

Regional Airlines Association (http://www.raaa.com.au/), sorry, we're not interested in you.

I hear where you're coming from, just don't know where your going! :{

185skywagon
3rd Jan 2005, 00:54
tailwheel,
thanks for the reply. i don't really know where i am going, just that i want to be still flying in 5 years time. agree with your summary of the above mentioned organisations.

Propjet88
3rd Jan 2005, 05:51
Hi,

Interested in your post and you make a good point about the need to be represented.

Don't agree with the effectiveness of direct lobbying - it seems to work in aviation in the USA but not here.....

However, maybe the real way is to have a say in the way the new rules are written by being directly involved?

A quick search of the CASA website shows that you are right in that membership of the SCC is open to "organisations" and none of the ones listed seems to represent charter directly. However, the SCC has number of sub - committees listed where (I'm told) that the technical work is done. Membership of these sub committees is open to individuals (as opposed to organisations)with expertise in the associated areas. Perhaps this would be a way for yourself or your colleagues to get involved in the new rule making process?

Cheers
PJ

leans404
3rd Jan 2005, 07:23

Check your pm's

On eyre
4th Jan 2005, 07:21
For those of you in the game long enough, you would recall that the General Aviation Association was Australia wide and strong in the 1980's and early 1990's. Due to apathy in the ranks and probably poaching by the RAAA the body contracted to SA in the late 1990's and again due apathy and the retirement of Gerry Blackshaw (the President/Secretary) it no longer exists.

In SA the CAA (Commercial Aviation Association) tries to fill the role (Chairman is Brenton Hollitt of Aussie Air 0418836550) but has few members. Until a major issue arises affecting all GA in SA then this body also will not be very effective.
As the saying goes - the biggest problem in the world today is apathy but who cares!

185skywagon
4th Jan 2005, 10:33
eyre,
you are bloody right. apathy, even i get like that. i did after i made the first post in this topic. most small operators i talk to, don't even know whats coming with the new regs ( i am not totally against them, just not happy with the consultation process). let em sink perhaps, but i just wanted to know how many people are concerned as to where we might end up.

raaaceo
5th Jan 2005, 04:11
Guys

RAAA has for some years stood for Regional AVIATION Association of Australia. Our aim is to to promote the maintenance of a viable regional aviation industry. That industry is not just RPT operators.

We have a number of non-airline members among our Ordinary (AOC) Members. They include flying schools and charter operators.

We are acutely aware of the impacts of proposed regulatory reform and aviation security imposts on small operators. One of our on-going tasks is to repeatedly remind policy-makers and regulators that what might be good for large corporations just does not work for or impacts disporportionally on the smaller individual and partnership operators.

The forthcoming amalgamation of CHTR and RPT into Air Transport under Parts 121A and 121B or Parts 121 and 135 are a case in point. It might be argued that support for a Part 135 is contrary to the interests of our airline members, but the RAAA has consistently supported a Part 135 because it believes it is sensible for the smaller regional operator and. therefore, beneficial to the regional aviation industry and those in the bush who depend upon its services.

The RAAA would welcome membership applications from smaller operators.

I am happy to respond to any PMs with membership details and application forms

Brian Candler
CEO
RAAA

185skywagon
5th Jan 2005, 04:37
brian,
when 121b was first floated, i tried to contact your organisation via phone and email. i was rudely told by a female (wouldnt give a name) that we needn't bother, that your organisation was only for small airlines.
i have noticed that in the last 2 years, you have lifted the profile of RAA. i hope things have changed now.
thanks for the input.

raaaceo
5th Jan 2005, 04:45
185Skywagon

I am glad you have noted a change. We will keep trying, but like any association our only strength is our memberhip and their support/enthusiasim.

I would rather look forward to what we might do collectively, than labour past mistakes.

Cheers