PDA

View Full Version : Flight 1430

CanberraGuy
2nd Jan 2005, 09:54
Hi,

Today (Jan 2 2005) I was at Canberra airport and they announced that flight 1430 to Sydney had been severely delayed. It was delayed from about 4:30-ish (I don't recall the specific time) to around seven o'clock. I realise this may be a fairly common occurance but I was wondering if anyone out here knew why this flight was delayed today. I would ask on Airliners.net but I don't have an account yet, sorry to inconvienience anyone.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm just curious about the cause.

Kanga767
2nd Jan 2005, 10:45
None of your business sunshine.

K

Pimp Daddy
2nd Jan 2005, 11:41
The aircraft was abducted by aliens

Dookie on Drums
2nd Jan 2005, 12:23
I heard a rumour that a Silverback had escaped from the front hold and was looking for young pilots to fly for free:8

They eventually recaptured it by following the trail of hair pieces it had left behind on its way to the South Coast :}

:D

:zzz:

Tail_Wheel
2nd Jan 2005, 13:41
Sh!t happens.......... Sad that! :ugh:

Boomerang
2nd Jan 2005, 17:06
Canberra dude,

Did you ask staff at the airport? Did the crew offer a reason?

Despite K767's reply I believe that it would be courteous to give customers a reason for the delay, if possible, especially one of that magnitude.

Believe me, crews do the best they can to get flights away on time (regardless of who we work for) We hate delays just as much as the pax.

>

grrowler
2nd Jan 2005, 21:19
Canberraguy "Why is flight 1430 so late?"

Checkin "Oh...due to...um..weather at Sydney."

Canberraguy "So what are those engineers out there doing taping the engine back on..."

Checkin "Thankyou come again"

Canberraguy "but.."

Checkin "Thankyou come again"

;)

Kanga767
2nd Jan 2005, 23:16
The poster did not say they were a customer, in fact they did not say why they wanted or needed to know, thus my response. Don't you think if they were a passenger/customer, their curiosity would have been satisfied??

I dislike nosy parkers.

K

Ultralights
3rd Jan 2005, 00:04
ummmm a 2.5 hr delay, hire a car and drive to syd!

self
3rd Jan 2005, 01:08
The dash 8 had problems with a recently replaced brake. It must have taken the engineers a lot longer than expected to rectify the problem. Pity you weren't given any information.

Super Cecil
3rd Jan 2005, 01:17
Kangabloke, Is that the way you normally treat Pax? It seems the reputation that domestic airline pilots have for rudeness and arrogance is just reinforced by your reply.:*

DutchRoll
3rd Jan 2005, 02:14
It's perfectly reasonable for a passenger - or pretty much anyone for that matter - to want to know why a flight was delayed, Kanga.

They pay my wages. If not today, perhaps tomorrow. If they want to know why something happened, I'll endeavour to tell them. Airlines do not operate on a 'need to know' basis, and I had enough of that crap in my past life. Besides, unnecessary secrecy breeds conspiracy theories, and I hate conspiracy theories.

Kanga767
3rd Jan 2005, 11:28
I think you blokes better go read your employment contracts regarding divulging company information.

K

blueloo
3rd Jan 2005, 11:53
I think youd better read your FAM on keeping pax informed with timely information and PA's.

Kanga767
3rd Jan 2005, 11:58
All well and good in-flight or at the terminal Blueloo.

I say again, don't you think this person would have been kept informed if they had needed to know? You've all just told me that they would!!

It's not like the poster is someone we know of by handle or in person. They've just registered. Doesn't that make any of you concerned??
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. You lot sure do change your tune.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122082

K

Hempy
3rd Jan 2005, 19:58
"due to ATC delay" is the usual reason isn't it? :8

spinout
3rd Jan 2005, 20:47
I understand the Dash had its doggy brake replaced and departed 2pm... I would say as far as being informed if there is a problem with an aircraft on the ground, the crew leaises with the company and engineering and then the company customer service people inform the pax... I would not expect the crew to make an announcement in the terminal... maybe the pax were informed and Canberra dude missed it, its not hard to walk up to the counter and ask, and if you are still not happy write to the airline concerned and ask for an explication.
:confused:

No Further Requirements
3rd Jan 2005, 22:40
Hempy, I remember a story I was told once about an ATC on a flight to Devonport. They got away on time but were late getting to DPO or something like that.

Anyway, the cockpit PA went along the lines of 'our arrival into Devonport will a bit late due to air traffic control delays there.' At which our ATC man down the back yelled out something along the lines of 'Ya farking WHAT!?!' and had to be asked by the FA to settle down.

He suggested to the FA that the CAPT/FO stop telling porkie-pies - sometimes PAX know.......

I found it amusing anyway....

Cheers,

NFR.

CanberraGuy
5th Jan 2005, 05:39
Lol, thanks everyone...appreciate the responses.

I didn't think to ask the airport staff, it didn't really mean that much to me at the moment as I was seeing off a relative on the flight before it. It was just a passing thought later on that I thought I'd throw out to you guys...

Kanga, didn't mean to ruffle you up...didn't mean anything by this post really...sorry anyway

Thanks again,
Canberra Guy

ps. so it was the brakes eh?...hmm, Here's me thinking it really was the aliens...

Icarus2001
5th Jan 2005, 07:00
Kanga has a point.

Then again he could have been a planespotter. You know, thermos flask, anorak, air band radio, airline badges etc.:8

Super Cecil
5th Jan 2005, 19:18
Yes Kanga does sound like a planespotter.