PDA

View Full Version : ICAO - JAA CPL Conversion

Ibanez
31st Dec 2004, 16:12
Hi all!
I'm currently in the process of converting my ICAO CPL ME/IR (expired last year :( ) to a JAA equivelent. The required written examinations will be completed next week and I need to start flying ASAP. Does anyone know whether an ICAO licence must be valid in order to qualify for a JAA CPL? The following is an extract from the LASORS:

SECTION D 1.5:

Non-JAA CPL(A) Licence:
The holder of a valid (or non-expiring) CPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 by a non-JAA State may be issued with a JAR-FCL CPL(A) providing the experience requirements of JAR-FCL 1.155(b) and (c) have been met.

Non-JAA ICAO IR(A):
The holder of an Instrument Rating Aeroplane (IR(A)) (that has not expired for a period not exceeding 5 years from the date of expiry of the rating) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 by a non-JAA State may be issued with a JAR-FCL IR(A).

The following is an extract from the CAA back home:

Period of validity:
A commercial pilot licence (aeroplane) shall be valid for an indefinite period: Provided that the privileges of the licence
shall not be exercised by the holder thereof unless -
(a) he or she holds a valid Class I medical certificate issued in terms of Part 67;
(b) he or she complies with the provisions of regulation 61.05.11;
(c) he or she holds an appropriate valid class and type rating; and
(d) he or she holds a valid night rating.

I have a military background with military turbojet experience, but only 1000hrs TT, so I do not qualify for the "above 1500 hrs" licence conversion. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I

BEagle
31st Dec 2004, 20:01
Your question is outside my normal area of knowledge, but reading LASORS 2005 it would seem that you have a non-expiring ICAO CPL, but you currently cannot use its privileges as the ratings contained within it are now out of date.

Thus it would appear that you need to follow the guidance in LASORS D1.5 for the conversion of an ICAO non-JAA CPL if your previous experience is as per the JAR-FCL 1.155(b) and (c) requirements - basically as for a JAA modular CPL course.

For the IR it's less clear thanks to the CAA's infernal use of double negatives. As I understand it (and I may be wrong), if your IR expired within the last 5 years then you need to do whatever training the FTO deems necessary and then take the IR Skill Test on the same category of a/c for which your last IR was valid.

But whoever is the Head of Training at your FTO is the one you MUST confirm all this with.

Good luck - and Happy New Year!