PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-slow Start-up

Tosh McCaber
31st Dec 2004, 08:17
Over the past couple of weeks, when I switch on my computer, it goes through the DOS routine as normal. However from the start of the initial blue Windows screen to being able to log into windows takes, instead of the normal few minutes, it now takes a good half hour- it's like watching ice melt! Thereafter, all is reasonably back to normal, although slower than usual.

System- Athlon 2000- 512mb RAM- two hard disks, 60Gb and removable 80Gb.

Anyone got any thoughts? What process should I go through to catch the bug responsible for the slow start-up?

E-Liam
31st Dec 2004, 10:52
Hi Tosh,

Please download 'Hijack This!' from here (http://thespykiller.co.uk/hjttut.htm), unzip, and place it in it’s own folder, (not in the temp folder, or on the desktop) doubleclick HijackThis.exe, check for updates by clicking on Config | Misc. Tools | Check for Updates and follow the prompts. Once updated click on Scan. When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Cheers

Liam

Tosh McCaber
4th Jan 2005, 16:15
Thanks for your help- I've been away over the New Year priod, and gave the computervto my local tech friend. I@ll keep you posted re results (or otherwise!)

englishal
4th Jan 2005, 19:39
Backup any important data, it looks like your hard disk is starting to fail.....

I've come across a few of these on my travels, on guys took 10 mins, then 20, then 30, then 40, then never....His girlfriends dissitation (only copy) was on the disk as well..:ugh:

Cya

Tosh McCaber
8th Jan 2005, 21:02
No, it wasn't the disk- just something that was hogging the complete system memory on start-up. My guru took it away, saved all my data, and reinstalled windows- I now have an ultra-clean machine- as fast and powerful as it used to be.

It's actually a good idea to carry out a complete reinstall from time to time- its amazing just how much clutter amasses over a few months to a year, depending on how much the computer is used (hevily, in my case!)

Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you carefully store all your original programme disks, and, just as importantly, your serial numbers, for future re-use, during a catastrophe such as this. I also store all my downloaded programmes a)in a separate folder (entitled Downloaded exe's), as well as b)saving them off the computer on a disk.

Thanks to all anyway.

Tosh