PDA

View Full Version : Who Else other than AOL to Use?

Sky_Captain
30th Dec 2004, 15:26
I have just tried the 2 month free AOL trial, but would like to see what other options there are out there for my laptop.:confused:
Could anyone suggest good places to sign up for an internet account that could be used either world-wide or within UK/Ireland.
I am looking for something that would be preferably faster than the standard 56k, if possible, and could be used to freely dial up from any point.

Hope this makes sense, i'm a big fan of downloading and using my laptop where ever I go.:D

Many Thanks,

S.C. :ok:

BEagle
31st Dec 2004, 07:03
With the increasing availability of W-LAN hotspots, I just use my normal ISP and whichever hotspot is within range of where I happen to be.

If there's no hotspot, I use a Vodafone Mobile Connect GPRS PC card to check/send my e-mails (or, rarely, to access anything crucial from the Internet). But that can be expensive!

I don't go to places so primitive that they have neither W-LAN nor GPRS coverage.

I use Virgin Net through a domestic W-LAN router/modem; pretty reliable, good anti-spam features, no outsourced call-centres and it has its own back-up webmail if I have to use a public computer to send/review e-mails rather than my own.

I wouldn't touch AoL with a barge pole. Good luck trying to get rid of it from your system.........

BOAC
31st Dec 2004, 11:57
Try the link in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157299)

Sky_Captain
2nd Jan 2005, 17:34
Thanks For the help folks:D

Happy New Year,

S.C. :ok: