PDA

View Full Version : PNG : Ian Leslie

Sharpie
30th Dec 2004, 06:00
A Cessna aircraft crashed around 1030am, today, some 20 nm southwest of Goroka. There were no survivors. The pilot is believed to be a long time resident of Goroka.

More info as it comes to hand and relatives have been notified.
Sharpie.

Skyland News
30th Dec 2004, 06:19
Heard that it may have been Ian Leslie in his C185.

mauswara
30th Dec 2004, 07:29
Sharpie & Skyland , Unfortunately can confirm above. MD FSU asked me to listen out on 121.5 departing Chimbu,today, the signal was there. Sounded like Ian flying his beloved IDL.EMTV news tonite confirms it All on board lost.He was x karimui for some little strip approx 25 nm SE Chimbu.crash site approx 2 km from airstrip.Wx was local xx shrs, but nothing for a driver of Ians capability.Condolences to all families .May they Rest In Peace.

OzExpat
30th Dec 2004, 13:52
I heard some disturbing news, some hours ago, that I found very hard to believe. It was reported to me that Ian Leslie died in the crash of a C185 on 30 December 2004, in the vicinity of Goroka, virtually his own back yard. There should be something in the Post Courier later in the morning, if its true, but right now it's too early for that.

I'm one of many, many people who has known Ian for a very long time and am having difficulty coming to terms with the possible loss of such an experienced and personable bloke. The guy who told me about this is someone that I have no reason to doubt and he got the information from his company in PNG. I'm hoping that this is just a case of communications having been a bit confused, leading to mistaken identity, but its clear that someone died near Goroka yesterday.

If it WAS Ian, then I'm guessing he was flying his own aircraft, P2-IDL, at the time. In any event, sincere condolences and heartfelt sympathy to the family - and to the relatives of anyone else who might've been aboard the aircraft at the time.

olderbutyzer
31st Dec 2004, 00:11
See the thread PNG Crash (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157343) in D & G Reporting Points. Seems it is true.

Torres
31st Dec 2004, 00:18
Very sad indeed.

tinpis
31st Dec 2004, 00:43
Hard to believe.
30 odd years experience in PNG.
Condolences to his family and friends

OzExpat
31st Dec 2004, 01:35
Thanks for that olderbutyzer. I obviously missed the topic in Reporting Points when I posted here last night. Very sad that it has now been confirmed. PNG has now lost two highly experienced pilots in the same year.

RIP Ian.

OzExpat
31st Dec 2004, 01:44
Yes indeed, very hard to believe. I've known Ian since 1984 and am shocked to think that he died in any aeroplane, let alone his own P2-IDL. PNG has now lost two of its most experienced pilots in the same year.

Condolences to the families of all those involved.

RIP Ian.

...still single
31st Dec 2004, 03:10
Well, that is terrible news. I thought Ian would be hanging around Goroka forever. He always had time for a chat and a laugh, and I will miss not seeing him again.

air med
31st Dec 2004, 05:04
ian was one of the nicest blokes I have met.
May he rest in peace

olderairhead
1st Jan 2005, 10:46
Fate is the hunter................

RIP Ian

Sharpie
2nd Jan 2005, 03:49
Ian's loss is very sad as I too knew him for many years, professionally and socially. A gentle soul and the dukduk's lose another.

We few, we very few and getting fewer, we band of brothers, we salute you.

Haere ra.

chimbu warrior
4th Jan 2005, 10:24
I am deeply shocked to hear of Ian's passing, and, given that the weather was reported to be quite good, somewhat mystified that an aviator of Ian's skill and experience would come to grief like this.

I believe he was the BEST check & training pilot I ever flew with in a GA aircraft...............bar none. I will long remember my Baron endorsement with fairly spectacular Vmc demonstration.........the ex-GV Baron drivers reading this will know what I mean! Such was the thoroughness of that endorsement that I took Barons to some pretty "icky" places, but am still around today.

Ian loved flying in the bush, was not afraid of hard work, and was always willing to share his skills and knowledge with those of us who were still a little wet behind the ears.

He flies with the angels now.

RIP

Eggman
4th Jan 2005, 11:41
From The National (http://www.thenational.com.pg) on Monday 3 Jan 2005:

VETERAN PILOT KILLED IN CRASH
A light aircraft crashed in the Simbu province last Thursday, killing the pilot – the only occupant of the aircraft. The Cessna 185 was on a flight to remote Karamui, south of Chimbu when it went down at about 2.44pm last Thursday. The aircraft, based in Goroka, was owned and operated by Ian Leslie, the former chief pilot of Talair and long-time resident of Goroka. Mr Leslie died in the crash. After Talair closed office and moved to Australia, Mr Leslie remained in Goroka, operating a number of light aircraft which flew freight and passengers to remote parts of Simbu, Eastern Highlands, and Madang provinces. Civil Aviation Authority acting chief executive Joseph Kintau said in a statement, the plane crashed two miles north of Kora airstrip. Mr Kintau said the pilot was the only person on board when it went down, and did not survive the crash. The CAA’s Air Safety Investigation Unit has flown to the area to investigate the cause of the crash. It is understood the body of the pilot has been retrieved and brought to Port Moresby. Mr Leslie was originally from Australia.

Meanwhile, two Telikom employees sustained injuries in a helicopter crash outside Port Moresby yesterday morning. The helicopter owned by Islands Nationair was enroute to Mt Strong when it crashed at the site at about 9 o’clock in the morning. The pilot was unhurt in the incident. Civil Aviation Authorities have confirmed the crash of the B206 Long Ranger helicopter.

Chimbu chuckles
4th Jan 2005, 13:08
RIP Ian...Talair's last Chief pilot.

Chuck

TwoDogs
5th Jan 2005, 11:38
I knew Ian 30 years ago in PNG. From an ATC point of view he was always a real gentleman. I am sure he will be sorely missed.

R.I.P. Ian

7gcbc
5th Jan 2005, 12:58
shame and condolences :(

Nadzab
6th Jan 2005, 17:18
Ian was always good for a chat in Goroka. R.I.P. Ian.