PDA

View Full Version : RAF Woodvale

Airways45
29th Dec 2004, 16:13
Hi there!

Can anyone tell me what are the larger types to have landed at RAF Woodvale near Southport over the years?

Have any been recently? I know that BAe 146s have visited over the years. Has anything larger been?

Many thanks

Airways45

Fried_Chicken
29th Dec 2004, 16:51
I've recently noticed a Beech 200 King Air inbound there if its of any use.

Fried Chicken

AeroSpark
29th Dec 2004, 21:09
BBMF called in a few years ago, sometimes in the late eighties I think.

Fokkerwokker
29th Dec 2004, 21:11
Saw a Herc launch from there in the Summer

ZH875
1st Jan 2005, 18:12
have flown from there in a Chinook

Cyclone733
1st Jan 2005, 19:00
They seem to fly most types in for 'Family's day' anything up to and including the Tornado (Not a big aircraft just needs a bit of a run up to get airbourne). The occasional Herc flys in to assist with Para training from time to time.

Eric T Cartman
3rd Jan 2005, 22:26
Have seen an Andover there in the past but the most spectacular has to be the arrival of the Phantom which became the Gate Guard ! :-)

McFunkletrumpet
4th Jan 2005, 16:06
Going back somewhat the following have been into Woodvale.
Lincoln, Lancaster, Anson.Oxford, Hercules, Argosy, Britannia,Beverley, Hastings, Varsity, Viking,Valletta. Hawk, Gnat Canberra, Hunter, Prentice,Proctor,Tucano, in fact almost everything that could squeeze itself in. Now home to the two UAS squadrons flying Grobs. Large private hanger contains several interesting civilian types but don't expect to get in.
Almost forgot to mention the helios, Sycamore, Whirlwind, Wessex, Chinook etc .
There is no longer a gate guardian.The Phantom, which was not indicative of having been based there went about three or four years ago having taken over from the Meteor which had been based there. The THUM flight operated with Spitfires originally and then went onto Mosquitoes. Ah ! those were the days.

Fokkerwokker
4th Jan 2005, 16:23
You can add Nord Noratlas of the Luftwaffe to that. I know cos I pulled the chox away!!

:ok:

McFunkletrumpet
7th Jan 2005, 13:16
I've just remembered that in the 1950's the USAF mounted a para exercise on the beach at Southport using C119's.It was launched from Woodvale. Can't find the photos now unfortunately. There were loads of them on the ground. Also Silver City Airways had a car ferry service "over the water" using Bristol frighteners (B170). That service didn't last for long. Actually one of the original pilots on this service still lives in Southport.
RAF Woodvale is IMHO one of the nicest kept RAF airfields in the UK .

MF

michutch
7th Jan 2005, 13:46
seen a few aircraft in woodvale

Chinook, puma, Seaking, Hawk, Cessna Caravan, King air 200, a small biz jet similar to a citation, have heard of the occasional hercules.

Oshkosh George
7th Jan 2005, 15:27
I've been reading this thread with a little bemusement!

I have one question in particular---WHY? What is the reason for the request? Is the runway of a particular short nature or what? We're getting the entire movements list since construction,and I'd just like to know ------yes, WHY?????????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

McFunkletrumpet
7th Jan 2005, 17:04
Oshkosh George.... Ask Airways 45 if you really want to know.
He asked the question.

Airways45
8th Jan 2005, 17:11
Hi Oshkosh George:

The reason I asked about this great little airfield is that I grew up around it, it's fairly quiet and so am pleased that so many have listed the types to have touched down over the years. Nothing strange about the field, no.

Keep them coming everyone!

Anyone remember seeing any commercial types? I seem to recall some Fokker 50s (in this case operated by Royal Netherlands Air Force??) and maybe some bizjets for the Open Golf at Royal Birkdale. Any large passenger planes such as 737s?

Airways45

McFunkletrumpet
8th Jan 2005, 17:57
I remember going to school with a lad who eventually became Officer Commanding No.1 Squadron at Wittering flying Harriers.
My wife and I met him at Woodvale in the early 70's when he came over to do a display at Heaton Park, Manchester.Before he left Southport he went to visit his parents who then lived on the Prom and took his Harrier with him. I'll bet that was NOISY.
The same year ( I think) my wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Bing Crosby at Woodvale when he attended the golf tournament.His aircraft was a twin piston. Said he couldn't afford a jet !!!

Oshkosh George
8th Jan 2005, 18:57
I'm just jealous because the airfield which I grew up around (Portsmouth) is no more.

I have a lot of memories of that place. Thanks for explaining.

the_flying_cop
10th Jan 2005, 09:28
we landed our bn twin turbine defender there last summer.

just about squeezed onto the runway, pilots not used to having to fly manually.!

TFC