PDA

View Full Version : Independent ATPL Study

ikea
29th Dec 2004, 14:52
Hey, whilst browsing a magazine, I came accross all of the materials necessary for the ATPL study. However, it was only the materials, not including any exams or fees. My question is, is is possible to study for the ATPL without following a set course fro m a ground school provider? Where would one sit the ATPL exams? I will be doing to the ATPL distance learning anyway, but this would represent quite a saving. Any help would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays:-)

no sponsor
29th Dec 2004, 15:08
You must do a groundschool ATPL at an approved school. The school will provide you all the necessary documentation, including the mandatory full-time bit for the distance learning course, as part of their fees (expect to pay around £2000). Exam fees tend to be excluded, since these have to be paid directly to the CAA. When you come to apply to take the exams, you have to have an approved school sign your form to indicate you have done their tests, including the mandatory full-time bit of the course.

Hence, if you were to buy, for instance, Oxfords course at Transair, and then enrolled at GTS or BGS, you would still pay their full fees. If you attended Oxford's course, I don't know if they would knock something off the course cost - you would have to ask them.

In general, having other notes in some of the more complex subjects (Met, Gen Nav, Performance etc) might make things easier when you get stuck on something.

Stoney X
29th Dec 2004, 15:09
ikea,

It is a requirement that before you sit the exams you have to spend a certain number of hours in a classroom with a recognised school. Can't remember the exact figures but it adds up a a few weeks. It would therefore make sense to get the books from the school that you will be attending. The prices at the schools I looked at included the books and the classroom time so the saving might not be what you think.

All exams are run by the CAA (at least in the UK anyway) and you can sit the exams in four places: Gatwick, Glasgow, Oxford and somewhere else. All the details are in Lasors.

Regards
Stoney

redsnail
29th Dec 2004, 15:29
Unless you are converting a ICAO ATPL then you are obliged to do a full ground school of 650 hours. (There are reductions for CPL holders as well). This can either be done full time in the class room or by distance learning. You satisfy the face to face component by doing the brush up courses.
I suggest you down load LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=1591)

My ref is D1.2 JAR-FCL CPL(A), Modular Course, #3. (it's on Page 133)

smith
30th Dec 2004, 14:48
IKEA

It is NOT allowed just to buy the books and sit the exams, you must enroll with an approved school and do the course work with them before you are signed off, then you apply to the CAA (through your school) to sit the exams.

The exam centres are in Glasgow, Oxford, Gatwick, Silsoe and Orlando. So my friend you will now see that it is not possible to do it the way you suggested, you WILL need to enroll with an approved school.