PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Noises

ManfredvonRichthofen
29th Dec 2004, 10:36
On an A 319 yesterday. Just after take off and shortly before landing you hear a noise that i can best describe as sounding almost like a bark. It may be in some way related to the emergency exit lights being switched on at the overwing exits. Its not flap or landing gear.
Any ideas as to what it is ?

IFixPlanes
29th Dec 2004, 12:43
The barking sound is the PTU (Power Transfer Unit). The PTU can transfer Hydraulic Power (no Fluidtransfer) from the yellow System to the green system and vice versa.
If you have a light drop of pressure in one system due to movement of e.g. Slats or landing gear, the PTU is working.

Ingo

flt_lt_w_mitty
29th Dec 2004, 15:02
.........alternatively, it COULD have been the dog barking 'cos the captain tried to touch something......
(old joke, and Happy New Year to all, Boeing AND Ab)

AVIACO
30th Dec 2004, 08:29
I was pax on an LH 319 last week from MUC to LHR and the "barking" noise as you call it, continued all the way from the quick exit taxi-way to the final stop at the gate. In fact, it was like a bark every two seconds, and lasted for an amazing fifteen minutes in total.

I have heard the noise on several occasions before, but this was the worst and most prolonged I have ever heard.

Real bumpy appproach that day too.

Wino
30th Dec 2004, 13:43
Those are the brakes you are hearing.

The PTU is a GROWL that you hear as the engines are started as the PTU runs through a self test regime.

If the aircraft is single engine taxied, then you will hear the growl some more, but that is not too common.

But the banging barks are the brakes.

Aviaco, you probably expienced a single engine taxi if it took 15 minutes from getting off the runway to the gate. In thate case you were hearing the PTU. Short Growls or grinds every few seconds is about right.

Cheers
Wino