PDA

View Full Version : USB causes computer to hang

BMM389EC
28th Dec 2004, 10:42
Hello All
I've noticed now that my laptop freezes/hangs when I'm using the USB ports. Either using the printer or while transfering photos from my camera. Tried unplugging them,switching them on/off. No change. Only thing I can do is hold power botton down till laptop shuts down. Any ideas?

batninth
28th Dec 2004, 16:24
BMM389EC

Laptops are notorious for not providing enough power to USB ports, especially if you are running off internal battery (I had an Acer that was very bad at this). Lots of USB devices tend to drain the max current, and the poor little laptop logic decides that there's been a power failure.

Somewhere (you don't say which Operating System you're running) there is an option on USB to ignore power errors and carry on, but that will only diable the USB and continue booting.

Best solution is to try and run off mains power whenever possible, and buy a powered USB hub (Belkin - available from PC World off teh shelf, or from www.ebuyer.com if you want to save money), and let it provide the power to the USB. That way you aren't risking any power issues either.

Good luck

BMM389EC
2nd Jan 2005, 02:53
Hello,thanks for the replies

I am running off the mains when this happens? I've got two USB ports and they both do it although one more than the other. Regardless of whats plugged in.
Running Windows XP.

Dick Fisher
2nd Jan 2005, 17:37
In Device Manager, seek out the device named "USB route hub" or similar and select the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box that suggests that the computer can disconnect the device to save power. This should cure the problem.

BMM389EC
3rd Jan 2005, 01:12
Many thanks-I've given it a try. Cheers

BMM389EC
3rd Jan 2005, 09:12
Oh Oh-did'nt like that! Soon after I did that it hung twice in a row without even something connected to the USB ports!?

batninth
6th Jan 2005, 08:15
BMM389EC,

Check your PM