PDA

View Full Version : Hours

CaptainToBe
28th Dec 2004, 09:46
First of all, apologies for asking a broad question. There are few people who know me, and i would prefer to keep it that way.

Would a pilot who did a lot of private flying in twins still be looked at as having obtained valuable experience. I understand that to a point initially its just a matter of meeting the minimum numbers, but are there any drawbacks to getting hours this way when youre first starting off. I realise that there are drawbacks assocaited when you want to move onto the bigger and better. Thoughts anyone?

Ang737
28th Dec 2004, 20:27
I think depending on the time and type your flying privately any hours are good hours. However getting into a Regional etc I would say that they would highly upon charter or low cap RPT work under IFR. Also depending if your flying IFR and doing approaches at every destination in IMC then sure thats valuable stuff and will be evident in your check flight.

Good Luck

Ang ;)

Howard Hughes
28th Dec 2004, 21:17
Gidday Captaintobe,

I would say that any twin flying you do privately will help you in the future, if only to provide you with the minimum multi requirements for insurance purposes. It does'nt necessarily mean your skills are any better developed than the guy with single time only, but you will be in the box seat from the insurance point of view and sometimes that will be enough.

Most companies will have 100-200 hours as a minimum requirement set by their insurer.

In my case when I went north looking for work, I had 100 hours multi, which helped me get a multi job with only 700 total. That early start has of course helped me progress quite rapidly since then.

I would recommend Not paying for ICUS, cause you really need to be the PIC for it to be of any value, just find the cheapest twin you can and get all your friends to help out. I am sure they would all prefer to be in a twin anyway, mine certainly did!! (You can use the uncertainty of non flyers to your own advantage!!)

Anyway all the best with your future.

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

CaptainToBe
29th Dec 2004, 08:37
Thanks for the replies fellas, it has certainly helped. At the present I do need a few more hours to become competitive, and you have backed up my thoughts in regards to the private flying im doing in twins getting me to the minimum hour mark while operators still not caring that it was done privately so long as I meet the requirements.

Have a good new years!