PDA

View Full Version : Now here is something we have overlooked!!

Eastwest Loco
28th Dec 2004, 08:54
Ok - we all know that when a passenger checks in late or noshoes on DJ or JQ (or QF mainline for that matter) that the airfare is forfieted and a new fare - including taxes - must be purchased for them to travel.

BUT - what about the taxes, which can at times like now with $19.00 fares far exceed the airfare?

Are these being forwarded to the authorities (airports and stautory bodies) that impose them, or are they being glommed as unearned revenue by the Airlines?

I know for a fact they are certainly not offered as refunds, and must in that case constitute illegal revenue for the carriers concerned.

Anyone have any info??

Best all

EWL

Buster Hyman
28th Dec 2004, 10:48
I imagine that where specified, the airfare would be forfeit, but a tax is imposed on the travel so should be refundable.:confused:

Should've kept your mouth shut LocoBloko, because you know who will get the job of refunding the punters!:rolleyes:

captain marvellous
28th Dec 2004, 14:10
Australia lags behind rest of world (again).... :rolleyes:

Jetsgo must refund taxes and service charges in "non-refundable" ticket (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=137336)

What happens to the tax? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=73565)

Unused airline ticket refunds (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37009)

Howard Hughes
28th Dec 2004, 20:13
Ok - we all know that when a passenger checks in late or noshoes on DJ or JQ (or QF mainline for that matter) that the airfare is forfieted and a new fare - including taxes - must be purchased for them to travel.

Only if you've bought one of those cheap seats!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Eastwest Loco
29th Dec 2004, 08:12
Buster - I dont mind the few seconds required to refund the taxes - now I have realised I should have been doing it all along. I would also go back through my database and refund taxes to clients who previously have had to abandon fare, but cannot do so due to a minor meltdown of our accounting system on 22 November and a corrupt backup - Not happy Jan!!! Hard drive is currently cringeing in an American clean room with them trying to retrieve data.

Howard - good point - BUT - around 5% of our sales would be fully flex domestic seats on all 5 carriers we regularly use. The rest are non refundable and I am sure that would replicate itself Australia wide.

captain marvelous -

:O I know!!

best regards

EWL

wirgin blew
29th Dec 2004, 15:19
Uh EWL with DJ if you arrive after the flight has closed but before it has left you are considered a LMC (last minute change) and charged $50 to be moved to the next available service. If you no-show the money is forfeit including taxes.

I would say that the airlines would be keeping that "tax" that is not required and placing it in some sort of "other revenue" column. Its something that should probably be taken up with the ombudsman or the ATO to find out if the airlines are acting "illegally", or do they hand the money to the Govt who never seem to complain about us giving them too much in tax. :D

Eastwest Loco
30th Dec 2004, 07:34
wirgin

It would have been nice if DJ sales had actually advised us at the coal-face that if you nosho, a $50.00 fee plus fare adjustment if required is the way to go. They have NOT in our case at least and I find that pretty ordinary. We offer DJ on a daily basis, and not just on Tasmanian routes, in fact more so for mainland corporates.

If you would like to throw a rock on the rooves of the forces that be that have organised that, and advise us how to activate the operation so we do not have corporate clients being wrongly advised, I would appreciate it. Daytime phone is 03 64233244 after hours 0419-323989 and work email is [email protected] .

I do not wish DJ any ill will, but if they start playing little Airport games and not telling the Travel Professional what they are at, there will be a huge backlash.

I will put a mass of money on the monies held for unflown taxes going into what TAA and ANsett used to term "unearned revenue". I will be following it up as soon as I have full staffing next week. A few test refunds with QF thru the Sabre System would be a good start and see if they squeal. Even the GST component should be refundable, as you cannot charge a goods and service tax on a service that was not provided.

Thanks for the heads-up on the $50.00 late checkin though. That WILL be followed up, but it would be nice to see DJ advise us of the procedure up front.

Best regards

EWL

Kaptin M
30th Dec 2004, 08:38
You're a naughty boy.....but an "honest broker", Ron (aka EWL), for baring this here!
Why not raise it on a national radio programme (eg. John Laws..or some such)?

Only problem might be, the Government may get involved in what appears to be a can of worms, when you start digging.

WRT the G(e)S(tapo) Tax, I guess there probably are some areas where the airlines and TA's could be expected to include that - the initial "service" provided booking and issuing the ticket, the input into the Res. system, the preliminary allocation of a seat, etc.

This could herald the advent of an entire new department in airlines!!
More "managers", secretaries, and lackies.
Won't GOD just LURVE that!! More empire building :ugh:

Eastwest Loco
30th Dec 2004, 09:02
Not a bad idea -and G'day Kaptin!!

This may make for an interesting bunfight!!!

EWL

Hmmmmm - Interesting

8 posts, including mine. Over 1150 views.

Could someone have possibly pushed the "Oh-crap" button in a few boardrooms??

Drop 2% off base International commission? OK - expect the Empire to strike back - and the farce is storng in this one. Buckle up and hold tight - we\'re in for a bumpy ride!!!!

EWL

185skywagon
30th Dec 2004, 10:03
loco.
i am in too. shall watch with interest.

Eastwest Loco
30th Dec 2004, 10:28
Kewl skywagon

This could be wery wery interwesting!!!!

Regards

EWL