PDA

View Full Version : Mouse problem on Pprune

MadsDad
28th Dec 2004, 08:41
I have an occasional problem with my mouse when using Pprune and would appreciate any advice.

I am using a wireless mouse, a Genius Optical Pro, with the supplied drivers and software. In addition to the normal mouse features (buttons, scroll wheel etc.) a feature of the mouse is a 'shortcut' facility - if the correct mouse button is pressed a menu of shortcuts to various applications is displayed, in the form of a sort of 'compass rose' (a circle with arrows, each of which is an application shortcut). I must admit it is not a facility I use.

What happens is that when I am using the scroll wheel to scroll down a forum list occasionally a blank circle appears, this being the size and shape of the shortcut menu I mentioned above. The scroll wheel part of the driver then errors and the wheel is disabled ('point and click' scrolling still works). The whole thing works fine after a reload.

This only seems to happen if the mouse pointer is pointing at the smilies column on the forumn list (immediately right of the 'envelope' list) and not always then. There is presumably an interaction between one (or possibly more) smilies, although I haven't been able to identify a speficic one yet, and the mouse software. Any advice? (other than don't point at the list - I try to remember not to).

mazzy1026
30th Dec 2004, 09:56
Hello mate,

What happens is that when I am using the scroll wheel to scroll down a forum list occasionally a blank circle appears I haven't quite grasped the whole of your problem, but what you said about the blank circle appearing, seems to me that you are pressing your mouse wheel button in, as well as scrolling it. When you do this, the circle will appear and you can scroll a page simply by moving the mouse up and down. To remove it, just press it in again.

Sorry if you already knew this ;)

Maz

MadsDad
5th Jan 2005, 08:34
B]Mazzy1026,[/B] sorry, been away a few days.

The problem is that after the blank circle has appeared I get an error, in the 'scroll wheel' application (and an invitation to send off an error reprt, which I have done a few times) and the scroll wheel then stops working (until I restart the PC). Moving the mouse after simply moves the pointer round the screen (normal functioning).

The only consistent thing I have noticed is the proximity of a smiley and the mouse pointer while scrolling so I suspect it may be an incompatibility between the smiley display codes and the wheel driver. I don't think I was pushing on the button although I could have been - I will do a bit of testing tonight if I get a chance.

Since I can still use the scroll bar and arrows etc. it is just an irritation - just it shouldn't happen and I wondered if anyone else had had a similar event.

mazzy1026
5th Jan 2005, 10:49
I see ;)

A fresh install of th emouse should take care of that, plus a search on the net for any updated drivers. Try it out then post back :ok: