PDA

View Full Version : Books on aircraft manufacturing processes

U2
27th Dec 2004, 02:56
I am interested in finding materials (books, websites) on the processes and application of aircraft manufacturing, specifically the WWI and WWII period?

I am not really interested in in-depth engineering manuals!

I think historical books may be the way to go here!!

Thanks in advance

U2

Genghis the Engineer
27th Dec 2004, 07:32
I've a few very good books of that sort of era. They aren't for sale, but by all means Email me on [email protected] if there's anything specific you'd like me to look up.

A quick warning by the way, I shan't be near the books until a few days into the new year.

G

noisy
27th Dec 2004, 09:05
Sounds like you're writing a paper on the evolution of a/c manufacturing techniques. Is this the case?

I tend to think that most of the modern manufacturing techniques were laid down by 1945 with obvious exceptions such as spot welding and carbon fibre composites.
The biggest advances to my mind have been in propulsion and avionics.
I have been privileged to have seen the inside of a vickers Valiant. Down in the nose compartment I saw what I was told was the bomb computer. It was a black metal drum about three feet tall by 18 ins. in diameter, probably full of brass gears with perhaps some valve electronics. I'm sure that the same function could be carried out today on a single microprocessor.

I don't think that wood & canvas is used much now, but that is probably more to do with the availabilty and cost of suitable materials.

dusk2dawn
27th Dec 2004, 21:23
I've often enjoyed Design for Flying by David Thurston, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1978. Mostly general aviation and design oriented but certainly worth the read.

U2
27th Dec 2004, 22:09
Thanks for the replies so far.

U2