PDA

View Full Version : Hercules Cockpit

tspark
26th Dec 2004, 18:17
Noticed on a TV prog this afternoon that the 'classic' RAF hercules cockpit centre panel has had a bit of an upgrade, Radar screen topleft of panel but couldn't make out what they've done with engine instruments. Tried to surf some pics but only new '
'J' or old 'K' cockpits.

Anyone RAF Hercules crew wanna explain the changes?

Thanks.

old-timer
26th Dec 2004, 20:30
Hmmmm - bit classified old chap,
not rocket science, but not for discussion either !!
no offence old chap

Always_broken_in_wilts
26th Dec 2004, 20:38
No expense spared on the "A40" as what you saw is the all singing and dancing top of the range analouge readout for the new 8 track system they have just fitted:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

ZH875
26th Dec 2004, 20:42
The 'classic' fleet having joined to the J fleet at Secret Wilts airbase has to modify the number of flt deck crew carried, otherwise the old J Line blokes get confused.

As the Air Eng is there to monitor Pilots, and they are getting on quite well now, and have lots of experience, it was decided to remove the FE from the Klassic.

As only he really understood the Engine panel, it was decided to remove that as well.

Unfortunately, removal of the FE has left the loadie with no one to talk to (he is not a pilot so pilots not speak to him), and as the loadie is the most important person on the aeroplane, they did not want masses of PVR's, so they decided to fit a Playstation under the bunk, and use the space previously occupied by the engine instruments for the playstation display.

Unfortunately, the captains got jealous and wanted a PS screen as well, and that is what you can see top left of the picture you were looking at.

When the Co-pilots complained that they did not have a screen, they were told to shut up and keep flying cos the captain is busy.

So there you have it tspark, nothing untoward to worry about, it will probably be revealed in the Sun soon, when the next boob jobs and face lifts for the troops are anounced.

The only complaints about the new playstation fit comes from the guys on the line, as they have to fund their own Playstations. As usual, one rule for aircrew and another for blunties.

Where R We?
26th Dec 2004, 20:46
Depends on what you were talking about on the K. On the central console/pedestal, there were some changes made about 5-6 years ago (I think) which changed the old analogue dials into digital readouts which in itself caused problems with the accuracy that was now possible in the torque meters!!

They upgraded the old E290 radar into a colour Rockwell Collins and changed the radio selector boxes with a set which had come from an ergonomic void and is a nightmare to use.

However, as has been alluded to on other posts which I won't go into, there were many changes made to a section of the fleet which greatly enhanced the operational capability.

I am not sure of the J layout as I have not been on one being a lowly Nav!

WRW

tspark
27th Dec 2004, 14:23
Thanks for replies guys!

New I could rely on Herc crews for some quality humour too!

Have a safe one !

Found a pic on the RAF website of all places ! Duh !

Kinda like 737 LED engine instruments!

See wot u mean about the eight track!

Lucky to get a Playstation! Could have been a Sega Mega Drive !