PDA

View Full Version : RPT preflight Q?

connection fee
26th Dec 2004, 01:57
WHere in the regs does it say that RPT machines (referncing below 5700kg) require LAME for do preflights and install seats?

merry xmass

GoNorth
26th Dec 2004, 04:00
CAR 42 ZC is the closest thing I can think of. You don't have to be a LAME though as anyone with a Maintenance Authority can do it.

splatman
26th Dec 2004, 09:18
The issue you talk about is one that confronts even private pilots, in that the humble daily inspection is deemed a maintenance action, as is removing and installing seats, and any person who undertakes maintenance must certify for such in the MR. (CAR42ZE)

Regulations also allow pilots to perform and more importantly certify for limited and specific maintenance (CAR 42ZC ) The details of this are also contained in CAAP 42ZC-1(0).

The important item here is that the authority for a pilot to perform maintenance in this regulation is that it applies to class B aircraft only.

When you enter the world of RPT, only class A aircraft will be approved on the AOC for RPT. Then the matter becomes an issue for the companies Mantenance Control Manual and the aircrafts system of maintenance. CAR42ZC (3) (c) allows for a pilot to conduct the maintenance in accordance with the system of maintenance. It is common place for low capacity RPT operations to have flight crew conduct and certify for daily inspections as well as remove and install seats, but the procedures are all detailed in the company operations manual when this occurs.

Hope this helps, and forgive me if my references to the CARS are not 100% precise - but if you need to be precise, then a visit to the company library may be in order.

Mainframe
27th Dec 2004, 02:00
Splatman

Very close to the mark.

You are correct, the aircraft is maintained to Class "A" standards under a system of maintenance.

A class A aircraft can only have maintenance performed on it by approved maintenance personell.

The approved can either be a suitably qualified LAME, as is the norm in RPT,
or by the holder of a "Maintenance Authority" issued by CASA.

LCC's have exploited this to allow pilots to conduct "walkarounds" and/ or daily inspections.
Naturally those pilots would hold a Maintenance Authority, it comes in a blue vinyl folder and details the particular tasks
and aircraft that the holder may perform, and on which aircraft types.

The maintenance control manual would hold details of all persons permitted to carry out maintenance, including any approved pilots.

Typically these tasks would be the daily inspection as per the AFM, replenishing engine oil, cabin configuration changes, maybe Compressor washes on turbines when away from base.

Almost any task that would be performed on a class B (Charter) aircraft requires specific approval on a class A aircraft.

A company may have C402's on line, some RPT, some Charter.

A licenced pilot endorsed on type can certify the daily inspection on the charter aircraft, but cannot perform the same daily on the RPT aircraft unless he/she is the holder of a maintenance authority issued by CASA.

It's all about standards, you will have attended a course on the daily for RPT, and have been certifed by a trainer, then applied for the M/A.

Naturally, on the RPT aircraft you will be then more careful with the inspection before signing off the Class A maintenance release, a different one to the type used for class B.

4dogs
7th Jan 2005, 15:36
Mainframe,

With respect, Splatman was closer to the mark than you were.

In regard to pilot maintenance on Class A aircraft, CAR(88) 42ZC in pertinent part states:

"42ZC Maintenance on Australian aircraft in Australian territory

(1) The holder of the certificate of registration for, the operator of, and the pilot in command of, an Australian aircraft must not authorise or permit any maintenance to be carried out on the aircraft in Australian territory by a person if the person is not permitted by this regulation to carry out the maintenance.
Penalty: 50 penalty units.

(2) ...

(3) Subject to subregulation (5), a person may carry out maintenance on a class A aircraft in Australian territory if:

(a) the person

(i) holds an aircraft maintenance engineer licence, an airworthiness authority or an aircraft welding authority covering the maintenance; and
(ii) ...

(b) ... or

(c) the person is a pilot of the aircraft and is authorised to carry out the maintenance by the aircraft’s approved system of maintenance; or

(d) the person is authorised by CASA under subregulation (6), or an authorised person under subregulation (7), to carry out the maintenance and the maintenance is carried out in accordance with any conditions subject to which the authorisation was given."

Therefore, provided that the relevant System of Maintenance authorises the pilot to conduct the Daily Inspection, no other authorisation is required. That means no MA!!

Importantly, the Daily Inspection is different from a pilot's "walkaround": the former is a maintenance activity subject to a CAR(88) 42ZE certification and the latter is not. Similarly, replenishment of oils is a servicing task which, by definition (see CAR(88) 2) is also not maintenance.

Please let us not confuse ALAEA politics with the facts.

Stay Alive,

splatman
11th Jan 2005, 03:25
4dogs

Now thats what I had said in the first place i think. I had just tried to avoid the regs and put it into simple language.

Thanks for the confirmation :ok: