PDA

View Full Version : Force Transfer

SunderlandMatt
25th Dec 2004, 19:00
Merry Christmas,

Just before Eastenders comes on the tele, I thought I'd post a couple of questions (based around the same idea) that I was asked a few days ago but still can find no reasonable (ish) answer to.

Q1: If I joined the RAF as a pilot, could I transfer to the FAA or AAC? If so after what length of service?

Q2: If I joined the FAA as a pilot, could I transfer to the RAF or AAC? If so after what length of service?

Q3: If I joined the AAC as an Officer, could I transfer to the FAA or RAF? If so after what length of service?

I'm sure someone here must have put in for a transfer at some point! Thank you for your help in advance.

Hope you have a Merry one.

SM. :ok:

Sloppy Link
26th Dec 2004, 12:01
The precedent is set so it can be done. I know of both RAF and FAA Officers now serving with the AAC and Warrant Officers who have obtained an RAF Commission and fly with them, AAC Warrant Officers who have an AAC Commission and have gone to the RAF, AAC Officers who have gone to the FAA. We even have an AAC Warrant Officer who was Commissioned into the RAF, completed his minimum term and has now just returned to the AAC as an Officer!
I am not certain how it fits with those wanting high rank as it can seriously screw up your Staff College timings and your annual report is bound to question your loyalty but for line pilots, it seems that once you have wings, no one really cares who you fly for.

Big Cat Handler
28th Dec 2004, 19:49
I know of a few people who've moved from the AAC (commissioned and non-) and FAA to the RAF. Don't think there's an official system in place for it - as far as your current Service is concerned you're leaving, and taking all their valuable training with you, so you'd probably be looking at a normal exit date (8 yrs min for RAF aircrew officer) or PVRing.

SunderlandMatt
28th Dec 2004, 20:10
Thanks for getting back to me :ok:

I still have what seems like a lifetime to serve before I can and will even think of leaving!

Have a great New Year! :cool: