PDA

View Full Version : FAA cert. to a NZCAA License renewal

Flyingmariner
24th Dec 2004, 18:56
So I have a NZCPL but haven't flown there for nearly 5 years but it's my employment in the US. The CAA won't renew my NZ license on the basis of the FAA medical. Ok here are a couple of choices
1. I get a NZ med and do a BFR...............cost $200 for the medical
2. I go to an Aero Club and ask for a NZ license on the basis of my FAA cert (just a pvt, only flying for fun while on holiday) ............... cost $55 to the CAA. Now here is the odd thing, the CAA will do that using my FAA med but not when applying for a NZ renewal using it. I didn't point that out to the CAA (no sense in making a mess for any one)

So far so good but here is what I was told by the CAA, if I haven't flown in NZ for 5 years then I'm busted back to a student pilot and need to do a full blown checkride with an examiner for all the licenses. When I said "But it's a life time license" I was told it's a rule. So in that case it's not a life time license but a 5 year one.

I have until the 28th January to get down there and fly before I turn into a pumpkin or a student pilot. Can anyone verify this 5 year rule please? Should I do the FAA/CAA visitor conversion or spend 200 bucks for a NZ medical which I'll use for about 7 days and 5 hrs of flying.