PDA

View Full Version : Whose Going North - 2005??

Mr Garrison
23rd Dec 2004, 23:42
Me and some mates are most likely going north next year and just wondering how many others out there like us are planning to go as well?

Not sure exactly where and when we are going, but have been told many different stories. Some say January, some say march, some say Broome, some say Darwin........

What do others think about all this? I've recently qualified for my CPL(A) and although I don't have ATPL or instrument rating, I'm thinking that this is not necessary at this early stage and its too late to begin that now if you want to get a break early next year.........Are people going up there with the bare minimums or going up fully qualified ready for the airlines (minus the hours!).

Be interested to find out what people are thinking in preparation for getting the first flying gig in wherever it may be and what are some of the logisitics and issues (if any) you are facing.

Cheers

Mr.G ;-)

J0N0
24th Dec 2004, 09:13
Good move to go north mate your gonna love it!!! First thing your going to wanna pack is patience. IMHO get there more towards Jan than March. Don't expect to get a job any earlier however the more times you stick your face in an operators face the more chance you have of them remembering you when it comes to hiring time!!
While you don't need an IF or ATPL yet I would say go ahead and get it at the next available oportunity. When progression does happen for you and it might be 2 months or 2 years before you need an IR its worth being prepared and yep I know its expensive but the more renewels you have the better and likewise with the ATPL, if your working flatout out in the bush somewhere and then you hear that anyone and everyone is getting an interview with the big Q it would be a shame if you couldn't through you hat in the ring as well. Or say you get a job with a company that has everything from a C206 to a metro with a B58 or 400 series Cessna in the middle. If there was a lot of movement then you could find yourself needing both your rating and ATPL in a hurry and would be a bummer if you missed the progesssion cause you didn't have them. Be that as it may don't delay your departure to do them!! Just make it a priority when you can!
Can't advise wearing a tie for any GA charter job interview anywhere up north however someone else might wanna comment..........
Pick a likely town and get a job in a pub or something while you wait, try and see the Chief Pilots as often as you can, weekly/fortnightly but don't over do it and piss them off. Its a tight rope you walk but don't them forget who you are!!!!
When I went to KU in '98 I had about 700hrs an IR but no ATPL theory. Took me a year to get a job, I got there in mid to late March which was too late!!! What ever happens keep a positive attitude be prepared to work hard and remember its not about the destination its about the journey!!!

Mainframe
24th Dec 2004, 23:17
Mr Garrison

Good luck, enjoy the journey, be politely persistent and patient, it will happen.

There are previous threads on this topic and Kunnunurra that you can acces by searching the forums.

Most important, Change your phone over to CDMA before you go.

Every remote community of more than 500 popn has a CDMA cell throughout the north of Australia.

Your GSM phone is for use in areas of civilisation, you are going to venture into remote areas and if you take GSM with you it will be a good alarm clock, calendar etc but will have little use otherwise.

Make sure you have a current DG awareness certificate, you can't fly pax or freight without one.

Buy the relevant WACs and other charts before you go.

Understand that you are unlikely to be permitted to fly M/E until you have 1,000hrs or nearly so.

A night VFR rating is more likely to be utilised than a CIR, so get one if you haven't already. You might get to drop someone off at an outstation, and then be able to return alone after dark.

The aircraft will invariably be NVFR, but not IFR.

You become an assett to an operator because you can get the aircraft home after dark so that it can be used next day,
and you avoid having to overnight somewhere that may not suit your levels of expectations.

Some sausage factories don't understand this and just sell you a rating you can't use for at least a year after you get it.

By all means get a CIR, it will make you a lot safer in NVFR ops.

You will eventually get to fly M/E, in the meantime you will fly Cessna 200 series (205,206,207,208,210),
so find about them before you go.

Consider investing in a Cessna U206G information manual and study it.

Be prepared for the unexpected, be prepared fror hardship, but invariably all who go to the Kimberley gravitate to the majors in due course.