PDA

View Full Version : Should a laptop work on your lap?

Memetic
23rd Dec 2004, 14:00
I am in the middle of a bizarre series of conversations with a major UK retail chain (Why oh why did I buy there? ... pure stupidity...) and a major brand portable computer manufacturer.

The question at the centre of this is; can you reasonably expect to use what the store sells as a Laptop, on your lap without the cooling system failing?

I'm not talking about expecting it to work with obstructed air inlets, the problem is clothing fibres getting stuck on the heatsink due to the only air inlets being on the bottom of the "portable computer" - making it a lap vacuum cleaner.

The manufacturer just says is does not sell laptops, it sells notebook computers... Then gets very careful about talking about avoiding dust environments - what are they saying about my house!

The retailer is waiting on guidance from their lawyers...

So while we wait, your opinions please, is it reasonable to expect that a laptop, work reliably on your lap?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Dec 2004, 14:56
Memetic,

The last Laptop computer was of the Intel 286 CPU. Since then, they have been making Notebook computers, so they are technically correct is not a bit pedantic.

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/zenith2/couple_z.jpg

Now depending on what hardware is in the Notebook, it might be very important for that active cooling to be running.

Take Care,

Richard

Memetic
23rd Dec 2004, 15:21
Oh it needs the cooling... 2.4Ghz Pentium IV (Or is it 2.2)

It tells you the cooling is not sufficent buy doing an instant power off (Processor temp exceeded.) Not great news for the hard drive or work in progress.

I have several references on line for the same model suffering the same sort of fluff related fault.

ZH875
23rd Dec 2004, 15:33
Whats the make and model, so I can avoid getting one early next year

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Dec 2004, 16:32
Memetic,

I am sorry to hear that. You can try to take it apart if it is out of Warranty and remove all the dust with compressed air. Just one word of warning, the way Notebooks go together, they are much harder to take apart then they are to put back together.

Take Care,

Richard

Memetic
23rd Dec 2004, 17:18
ZH875
It's a Toshiba SA30-203.

Richard

There is a very nice set of instructions for cleaning this machine on the web, complete with photos that show the problem. (http://198.64.189.142/review.php?r=258) So if in the future I need to I could.

I'm currently arguing that were the design adequate that this regular, technician level, cleaning should not be necessary if the unit is used in a SOHO environment. Hence as it is required the design is inherantly flawed for the market the machine is targetted at. Especially as neither the sales person or manufacturer warns you about this need to have the machine services in this way. The manual only talks about avoiding dusty environments, not obstructing the air inlets and not slow cooking your legs (etc.!) on the processor cover.

As I understand it if I can establish that a reasonable person would consider this to be a flawed design, under UK law I have up to 6 years to have discovered this inherant fault and claim a refund - full or partial to be determined. Personally a partial refund to get an an equvalent spec PC that does not have this problem will be fine - currently this would be about 60% of the price I paid. I know plenty of people with similar spec machines that don't suffer form this sort of problem so i'd say it is a reasonable expectation.

The main problem is the retailer who my contract is with - as far as I can tell thier customer care team are actually mainly there mainly to try and talk you into giving up your claim. :* e.g. Insist you write to them, then when they call back (if they call back) the front line staff will not confirm conversations or decisions in writing etc. Very tedious.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Dec 2004, 18:10
Memetic,

The main problem is the retailer who my contract is with - as far as I can tell thier customer care team are actually mainly there mainly to try and talk you into giving up your claim. e.g. Insist you write to them, then when they call back (if they call back) the front line staff will not confirm conversations or decisions in writing etc. Very tedious.

Sadly to say, that is probably very true.

Take Care,

Richard

BLUE SKY THINKER
23rd Dec 2004, 22:43
Perhaps dust is the least of your problems!!! (http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/news/0,12597,1369644,00.html)

BEagle
24th Dec 2004, 11:39
Simple - secretary sits on lap, she uses the computer.....

What on earth is the diference between a 'notebook' and a 'laptop' - is it something some slimy American litigation lawyer has caused, or is it just a marketing term?

Memetic
24th Dec 2004, 13:39
That because the manual says,"Do not operate your portable computer for an extended period of time with the base resting directly on your body. With extended operation, heat can potentailly build up in the base. Allowing sustained contact with the skin could cause discomfort or, eventually, a burn."

My admission that I use the computer on my lap means the problems are user misuse, so no refund. I have pointed out that this is clearly intended to prevent injury and does not mention fibre injestion, or long term fibre build up and that I do not use the PC directly against my body (That would be stupid as it would obstruct the fans.) No joy...

I'm waiting now to get this in writing, apparently I will be getting token compensation as the retailer feels they have not handled this well. Can't say I disagree!

Happy Christmas everyone!

Memetic

joe2812
2nd Jan 2005, 21:47
Just bumping this as I would like, if possible, to know the outcome.

Regards,

Memetic
3rd Jan 2005, 00:16
Hi joe2812,

Curently the Laptop is still at Toshiba's. I am waiting on getting the decision from Dixons in writing before deciding what to allow Toshiba to do to the Laptop, accepting another repair might not be good from a legal view point, i.e. deemed to accept the need for regular serviceing / to agree that the environment I am using the laptop in is not suitable. Not accepting it could be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Once I have the exact wording of the letter from Dixon's I'll be asking for clarification of exactly what the recommende doperating environment is, then looking at wether filing a claim in the small claims court is worth while.

By the way anyone else noticed how touchy Dixons are about you using camera phones to photograph Toshiba computers price ticketed as laptops in their stores? - Thought not :}