PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Museum Harvard pranged but good at East Sale

Menen
23rd Dec 2004, 01:34
I cannot vouchsafe for the accuracy of this rumour but word is that the RAAF Point Cook Museum beautifully maintained Harvard was severely damaged during a ground-loop accident recently at Central Flying School, East Sale.

Any news available on what caused the ground loop to occur in the first place? Uncurrent senior officer flying perhaps?

AerocatS2A
23rd Dec 2004, 02:40
Well, as they say, there are those who have and those who will. The longer I stay in the latter catergory, the better.

Milt
23rd Dec 2004, 03:58
Wirraway/T6

It used to be always

"Slow reaction on the part of the instructor"

They had a tendency to drop a wing in the flare or soon after touchdown due wind gusts or Xwind.

If still in the air - opposite rudder.

If on the ground - same rudder.

Arm out the window
23rd Dec 2004, 05:55
Who was in it?
Glad they didn't get hurt (or I'm assuming not).

Captain Sand Dune
23rd Dec 2004, 09:22
Nosey aren'tcha?:E

Lasiorhinus
23rd Dec 2004, 11:13
Is this the same Harvard that kinda crashed in the paddocks next to West Sale a couple of weeks ago?

Super Cecil
23rd Dec 2004, 11:52
Never say never, there are always possibilities. Currency decreases the risk.

Captain Sand Dune
24th Dec 2004, 04:47
It was a check out for another pilot. The incident occurred during a touch and go.
Apparently the wings have been ripped off, so it's not likely to be flying again for some time - if ever. Pretty sure the aircraft was not the one involved in the incident at West Sale.
As per RAAF tradition I expect the captain to be promoted any minute now.:E

Arm out the window
24th Dec 2004, 09:42
Capt Sand Dune, yep, you could say nosy; also interest sparked by doing an initial taildragger design feature endorsement the other day, and am now a bit more interested in the dreaded ground loop than I might otherwise be!

Flight Detent
24th Dec 2004, 10:30
Sorry, slightly off thread, but,

Is Dave Gardner still the curator at the RAAF Museum, I know he was whilst he was in the RAAF, and I know he's now retired, but I heard a rumor!

Cheers:confused: