PDA

View Full Version : Whatever next.....

BEagle
21st Dec 2004, 22:01
From today's Torygraph:

Seaman has breast surgery on the Navy

By Richard Savill
(Filed: 21/12/2004)

The Royal Navy has paid for two sailors - one of them a man - to have cosmetic breast surgery.

As the Armed Forces face budget cuts, it was disclosed yesterday that the man had had breast reduction surgery and the woman implants.

Ministry of Defence sources confirmed the operations, saying that any cosmetic surgery was carried out for clinical reasons only.

A colleague of the sailors, both based at Plymouth, said: "It is madness. We do not always have enough kit yet these people are getting cosmetic operations."

It is understood that the man, an able seaman in his twenties, had lost weight and was left with excess skin. The woman's circumstances were not known. It was recently disclosed that the ministry spent £38,000 on cosmetic surgery last year. Four soldiers had nose operations costing £3,000 each and six women had breast enhancement or reduction surgery at £2,500.

A senior military source was quoted as saying that the scheme was intended to improve morale in servicemen and women who were "stressed" about their bodies.

The ministry would not comment on the latest operations.

But a spokesman said that implants might be part of reconstruction after a mastectomy, for example.

Andrew Robathan, the shadow defence minister, said last night: "The MoD should be using taxpayers' money on ships. When the fleet is to be cut from 31 to 25 vessels, this highlights the warped sense of priorities of this politically correct Government."

Jucky
21st Dec 2004, 23:17
I know of a female soldier who got implants about three years back, paid for by the MoD so its nothing new really. She looked pretty good before she got them done. Don't know why she needed them really.

Don't think you'll get too far with a ship on 38 grand!

Maybe the MoD should ask the Belfast Bank robbers for a lone, they seem to be flush with cash at the moment! :rolleyes:

c-bert
22nd Dec 2004, 07:20
Could have saved a few bob my swapping the bits between them....suck a bit out of the chappy and squirt it into woman. Not only would it have saved on raw materials but I expect it would have put them off the op and all. :ok:

Always_broken_in_wilts
22nd Dec 2004, 08:44
When you say " suck a bit out of the chappy and squirt it into the woman".............what exactly are you proposing:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

delta96
22nd Dec 2004, 08:54
Giving the girlies bigger fun-bags is good for the lads' morale.
Don't knock 'em.

BackfromIraq
22nd Dec 2004, 13:22
If you're going to start talking about subjects like this, just consider:

You're missing your 4 top front teeth. So you don't look great and everyone forms an immediate opinion of you, before they know you and find out that really you're quite a likeable bloke.

It's not life threatening, but you're about to be promoted and take on a relatively high-profile job. Unfortunately the dental officer can't do anything for you because it would be a waste of tax-payers' money. How do you feel now you're in the Public Eye? Self concious?

These people have self worth and, as sight is far and away the most important of our senses, first impressions last. Would you want someone with low self-esteem servicing your £27m jet? A pretty young girl called bloke's names because she's not exactly well endowed in the chest department? Someone who's had reconstructive surgery after a life-threatening illness? You can't price it up in just pounds sterling.

We have a duty to look after the person, not just provide them with shelter, food and pay, and if something is offered on the NHS then we have to provide a similar service. If someone has a badly broken nose and snores or suffers badly disturbed sleep (or disturbs the sleep of those around him) why shouldn't corrective surgery be an option.

This is part of the fast-disappearing X-factor. You try getting a non-urgent medical problem or any dental problem sorted out quickly in the NHS and see how long it takes. I've witnessed medical and dental personnel bend over backwards to accomodate the slightest concern, something they probably think is completely trivial, because it matters to the patient.

Aircraft don't just need pilots to fly them, they need ground crew to service them, and everyone needs medics to look after them. It's a privilege not everyone in this country has and, although accountants and politicians are quite prepared to throw millions, if not billions, of pounds at a problem (military or social), the cost-to-benefit ratio here (£38000) is minimal. Senior officers probably cost the tax-payer more than that in first class train fares; tell me what the cost-to-benefit ratio for that is? A massaged ego?

airborne_artist
22nd Dec 2004, 14:22
BFI

You'd make a great politician!

Chap/chappess missing four teeth - generally as a result of an accident - and a dentist can make a good case for replacing them in order to ensure clear speech etc.

Girly with small boobs - totally natural, and does not prevent lactation - so where's the need to enlarge them? Some are large and some are not, that's boobs for you. The medical risk of enlarging them is far greater than the "damage" done by having an AA cup.

BackfromIraq
22nd Dec 2004, 15:13
A_A

I'm just making the point that there are some things we do in the military that, at the final reckoning, the bean stealers will do their damndest to make us justify.

You can learn to speak clearly without 4 front teeth, and with today's processed food there's no way you'll starve even if you're missing all of them, but that, amongst other things, is not a reason not to provide quality care as much as possible. Equally you could blame society (and the Good Ol' US of A) for making us so selfconcious of our bodies (not so) beautiful.

Trust me I'm no politician, as all of my friends will testify: I bleed light blue when cut, as successive Governments have proved!

An Teallach
22nd Dec 2004, 16:54
So £38K spent last year on 'cosmetic' surgery. Probably about as much as BWOS et al rip the MoD for in the amount of time it takes me to type this post.

Perhaps if our gentlemen of the press turned their attention to where the real money is wasted and the arrangements by which no-one asks too many questions when things go horribly and expensively wrong, they would provide a greater public service to the taxpayer and to Servicemen and women than prurient trash journalism of the sort at the top of this thread.

Why not start with investigating the (now almost institutional) arrangement whereby if the brass don't ask difficult questions or give ropey suppliers a hard time when they are at the top of the MoD food chain, they are rewarded with highly paid sinecures with the self-same ropey suppliers immediately uopn retirement.

Two PPRuNe favourites from the chinook thread spring to mind - Wratten to Rolls-Royce and Day to BWOS.

pshakey
22nd Dec 2004, 19:19
I know a few wrafs who have had ar** implants.

Anita Bush
22nd Dec 2004, 19:58
I wonder how much Gen Mike Jackson's eye bags cost to have removed???

If that isn't cosmetic I don't know what is.

HalesAndPace
22nd Dec 2004, 20:30
What about the 2 chopper guys at Valley that had their choppers removed then??!! £32K sex change ops!!! :eek: :eek:

16 blades
22nd Dec 2004, 23:52
"Boo hoo hoo, I've got small tits and people take the piss out of me.....whinge complain cry....."

GET A F**KING LIFE!

And get out of the service so somebody of use can take your place......

We are a fighting force, not a f**king support group.

16B

allan907
23rd Dec 2004, 08:42
16 Blades Pop down to the medics old chap and see if they have the ability to remove your brain from your arse and put it back where it should be.

Titan Locked
23rd Dec 2004, 09:04
Just out of idle curiosity does anybody know if face lifts, boob jobs, sex change operations (or indeed any cosmetic surgery) are allowable under the health care packages that (I'm assuming) come within the civil airlines job market such as Virgin, BA etc.

Or do they just say it's a personal problem - sort your life out yourself?

Personally I think the money could be spent better elsewhere - post traumatic care for instance. Or even ensuring the families of those stationed at remote locations have good access to GP/dental services.

Captain Sand Dune
23rd Dec 2004, 09:17
About b&**%y time too!!! Why not make them mandatory?!:D

Grabbers
23rd Dec 2004, 11:02
Do you think it would be possible, hypothetically of course, for a chap to have an 'enhancement' operation? Hypothetically. No sleepless nights here, which is my problem. Hypothetically.;)

Anita Bush
23rd Dec 2004, 12:35
Why not do it yourself?

http://www.zug.com/daily/journal/graphics/050304_pp02.gif

(not so sure about the area aft of the helmet though):ugh:

Always_broken_in_wilts
23rd Dec 2004, 14:47
I am striaght into see the SMO after Xmas to see about:-

Penile eancement as I am hung like a hamster and frightened to go in the shower with the big boys:sad:

Leg extension surgery as I have spent my service life on the wrong end of hightest humour :{

Liposuction as recently I am the brunt of waistest jokes :rolleyes:

Follicle implants as the receding hairline barbs are starting to hurt:(

That will do for starters:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

FatBaldChief
23rd Dec 2004, 20:38
And I want some free hair. And lipo. And 'Layzer' eye surgery :8

jobsworth
24th Dec 2004, 00:37
I had my ears pinned back and i had my teeth done, bloody good job they did and i cant complain about the service. After all i pay tax and its budgeted for.

No regrets in getting 9 grands worth of make over.

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
24th Dec 2004, 06:29
Hi Gang;

ABIW...

You forgot about sorting out the webbing between your fingers and toes......:p

Condiments of the season:yuk:

NA'J'B

Arm out the window
24th Dec 2004, 09:23
Poor old hypothetical fella with 4 front teeth missing...could always go crazy and do like any other bugger would have to and pay for some falsies!
Stop it, my heart's bleeding.
Now, Seamen and breasts in the same sentence - there's a good combination!

Ginger Beer
26th Dec 2004, 13:39
You think that'sa waste of dosh,

How about the E3 skipper WHOSE CIVVY WIFEY was depressed and the Air Farce paid for her to have a face lift to cheer her (and us) up !!!

Then,

She goes on a diet, is left depressed again because of the jowells, and has face lift number two !!

What the ......... is goin on ?

Guess what, then she stix the weight back on............

Pucka gen,

Ginge.