PDA

View Full Version : CMD only airfields

Salzinger_FOO
21st Dec 2004, 15:42
Hi folks,

Not a pilot myself (yet) and while talking to a friend (F/O on a major airline here) he mentioned that his outfit had a restriction that only the CMD could land (and sometimes, take-off) from a list of airports, this due terrain, or short runways, etc etc.

So is this usual around the world? If yes, could our regular skippers and F/O give a examples?

Thanks in advance!

BOAC
21st Dec 2004, 16:30
2 for starters, Salz - Innsbruck westerly departure night (if I remember correctly?) and Funchal anytime.

Most airlines will specify Captain's landing on particularly short or slippery runways, or if the crosswind exceeds the co-pilot's limitations also.

Old Smokey
25th Dec 2004, 22:29
BOAC says - "Most airlines will specify Captain's landing on particularly short or slippery runways, or if the crosswind exceeds the co-pilot's limitations also."

To add to that, our company specifies that Captains must be the PF during actual Cat 2/3 Auto-Land operations. The F/O may be PF during Auto-Land in Cat 1 conditions or better - Good!, this gives them practice at using it in the event of incapacitation of the Captain.

Seasons Greetings,

Old Smokey

A and C
31st Dec 2004, 16:44
As BOAC states Funchal is Captains only TO & LDG others I could name are Samos, Chambery ,Corfu (at night) and Skiathos.

B738
4th Jan 2005, 18:23
I think this depends on the company and aircraft-fleet!
At our company only Innsbruck is a captains-place, and we don't have any limitations for F/O-landings in Salzburg nor in crosswind-conditions!

Low-vis landings are capt. landings. CATII is flown as a monitored approch by the F/O and the CMD will take controls at the minimum if he has visual contact and do the landing, and CATIII is flown by the CMD with HGS!

A-3TWENTY
26th Jan 2005, 22:52
Rio de Janeiro,Brazil.

1200 mts.Regular operation of A-319,F-100,B733,735,737.

AerocatS2A
27th Jan 2005, 08:36
Queenstown, New Zealand. It is approx 1200' ASL with 7000' mountains very close. Aircraft up to B737 size operate in and out.